NAVIGATION - Instruction Has Begun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the dirt path, but I'd prefer to avoid the dirt nap. When I'm on foot, I mostly go cross country, avoiding paths altogether. That said, everyone can always learn new stuff if they are willing. You can even learn from someone who is dead wrong if it makes you clarify in your mind what exactly is wrong and why. So let her rip.

Edit to add: My practical tip is to look over your shoulder occasionally and memorize landmarks. Retracing your steps is easier if you know what the route looks like. This one has bit me on the butt more often than any other error.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I like the dirt path, but I'd prefer to avoid the dirt nap. When I'm on foot, I mostly go cross country, avoiding paths altogether. That said, everyone can always learn new stuff if they are willing. You can even learn from someone who is dead wrong if it makes you clarify in your mind what exactly is wrong and why. So let her rip.

Edit to add: My practical tip is to look over your shoulder occasionally and memorize landmarks. Retracing your steps is easier if you know what the route looks like. This one has bit me on the butt more often than any other error.
We see eye to eye Sir I prefer off-trail too, No FNING people (no Offense) haaa.
Thanks for bringing up “Look Behind” you NAV tip. It’s critically important to find your way home, both 2XFoot and 4X4. Every few hundred yards or whatever terrain dictates, turn around or stop your Raptor, get out and look at terrain features, horizon landmarks etc. Even more critical at intersections, Trail/Road “Y’s” WHAT WILL THIS LOOK LIKE ON THE WAY BACK? At Night, in the Desert, Woods everything starts to look the same. That’s how when you’re lost you can walk in circles, combine unfamiliar terrain, the feeling in your gut when you realize I have no FNING idea where I made the wrong turn?? It can happen on established trails in the Yosemite backcountry or the Million+ acres of Wilderness Roads in the Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument
I referenced a story earlier in the thread with this exact scenario, Dr Gonzalez and his girlfriend probably would have died except luck saved their Azzz

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would add, know your vehicle and what it can do. Breakdowns don't have to happen to leave you stranded. If you are not with another vehicle and up ahead looks sketchy, don't go there. Not a time to say "hold my beer, watch this". Someone just got rescued near Moab in a "car". They tried a mountain pass, got into snow, and slid off the road. Luckily there was cell phone coverage. They shouldn't have been there with their "car". We have done thousands of miles of 4x4 trails all over the country and, knock on wood, never been stranded. It there is even a question if I can make it, I probably will not try. Also, as you are going down a trail you have never been on before, never go down a ledge that you couldn't climb back up. We have been on lots of trails where we had to turn around and go back on the trail we just came out. I always make sure I don't do something one way that I couldn't do the other way.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
I would add, know your vehicle and what it can do. Breakdowns don't have to happen to leave you stranded. If you are not with another vehicle and up ahead looks sketchy, don't go there. Not a time to say "hold my beer, watch this". Someone just got rescued near Moab in a "car". They tried a mountain pass, got into snow, and slid off the road. Luckily there was cell phone coverage. They shouldn't have been there with their "car". We have done thousands of miles of 4x4 trails all over the country and, knock on wood, never been stranded. It there is even a question if I can make it, I probably will not try. Also, as you are going down a trail you have never been on before, never go down a ledge that you couldn't climb back up. We have been on lots of trails where we had to turn around and go back on the trail we just came out. I always make sure I don't do something one way that I couldn't do the other way.
Thank You Sir, So True! My rules/ equipment are geared towards Self-Rescue and flying solo.
You want entertainment that shows
“ You Can’t Fix Stupid?” Watch Matt’s Off-Road Recovery on you tube..Baaaahaaa you can’t make that shit up! Ummm let me take my FNING Tesla through this Sand Trap and see if I get stuck? Why R U on this class 2 4x4 road in your Celica you idiot! (No Offense) and the hits go on....:)

Last edited:

Mariners Fan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A COMPASS, I always have one in the Raptor and in my Pack that is always in my Raptor. You can put all your eggs in one basket, my Raptor has a compass, and then when you have to head out on foot your screwed.
ENGINEER TAPE- I like Orange, it comes in several colors and you can pick it up at any Lowe’s, Hm Depot orNursery.
I learned this tip up at Mount Rainier in a class when we were learning about Navigating Glaciers & snow covered tundra. This same technique can be used in any terrain on foot or 4X4, when everything looks the same. It’s simply “Bread Crumbs” on the Glacier we used Sprinkler Flags that we stuck into the snow. In the desert, washes or slick rock I use Rock Carins and sometimes add a piece of the Engineer Tape to the Carin. In the heavily wooded terrain or desert that has a bush you can tie it to, use the ET tied to a tree/bush to mark turns etc. If you are doing an out and back trail. Please be a good Steward of the land and remove your “Caribs/EP” on the way out. Keep it wild do the next person can find their own route :)

View attachment 166369

View attachment 166370

View attachment 166371
My Silva Ranger is my friend! Dad taught me to run compass when I was 10 and I've been using the same model for years. Been through a few but love my tried & true.

Mariners Fan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've started my 7 year old grandson doing some short hikes and one of the first things I taught him was to turn around once in a while so you can see what it's supposed to look like on the way back.
That and the importance of PROPER FOOTWEAR!!!

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
RECON- Part of my trip planning, before I head out on my adventure, be it foot or 4x4, one day or a week is a Map Recon of my intended target location. I’m Old school so I always have to see a paper map to visualize the area and surrounding terrain. That being said, I also use my GAIA APP. I’ve used GAIA since it’s inception when it used to be free. As with anything electronic, there was a learning curve for me. I figured out I had to download the maps I needed if there wasn’t going to be a cell signal. Which is almost everywhere I go.
If I can use it, anyone can. It’s a great tool for backtracking a confusing route you may have taken through multiple social trails/roads. Buttttt-see Rule 1, all of your electronic goodies WILL FAIL YOU at some time! Know how to use a map and compass! Since GAIA I no longer use my Garmin 650T. ( for sale cheap ;)
STORY TIME WITH JOHN
I was setting up a compass/ Land NAV course at Ft Hunter Ligget to train incoming troops for some of their Pre-Mob training, prior to Sand Box deployment. This is the time frame that Guard/Reserve Soldiers had to bring their own shit with them and they were deploying w/o Up Armor Hummers.
Young Soldiers started showing up with the Hand Held Garmin’s and others. It was hard convincing the them not to depend on their electronics. Cut to-MP’s captured in Kosov I believe because “They couldn’t read a Map”
Redundant Systems is my pitfall. I try as much as possible to have a back up system, which usually means Weight

E49E67AD-ACC0-45CB-B59B-32A3480B1735.jpeg

AF5FA8AD-2163-4007-B35F-5066BCEB8487.jpeg

AF25EFE0-C9D3-463D-B070-BF195AB74886.jpeg

60955E5C-3499-44B8-9D07-F30087CB1EC2.jpeg

624DDDDB-3612-4B46-8DC2-0159D9BB3C55.jpeg