Nav Tv

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mmm

Reaction score
Just a heads up. Grabbed a Navtv zen unit from a forum member here. It was an older unit but was never installed. I installed it in my truck and everything worked except backup chimes and the normal chimes were very loud. Did some research and it said the new firmware would fix it. The zen directions also state to go to the update website and update the firmware. I followed the directions and did the update. As soon as the unit was restarted nothing worked. I contacted navtv and they said the new update disables a chip on the older models causing them to brick. Tech support Bob then proceeded to tell me it wasn’t under warranty and I would need to pay 350 plus shipping both ways to fix it. Regardless of how old the unit was their firmware bricked the thing. So much for backing your product. The thing is really only 3 years old. What horrible customer service. Dropping this here so people with older units know not to upgrade firmware.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Did their firmware page give you an indication that the download was incompatible with older units?
That’s pretty weak if not.

Edit to add: I took a look at their downloads and it does disclaim the brick condition -

from READ ME FIRST.txt -
"*****NOTE: SPECIAL INSTRUCTION FOR 2.0 UPDATE (from older) - IF NOT FOLLOWED, UNIT WILL HAVE TO BE SHIPPED TO NAV-TV FOR RE-FLASH!!!!!***** (Once Firmware has been updated, future releases do not need firmware updated)"

Very unfortunate.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nav tv customer service is so so , I tried to buy the rca plug that comes with the unit ,not for sale ,told me I need to buy whole unit .

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Mine was from 2018 and Noah got it updated a couple months ago. Fixed the issues I had with it. Sucks it bricked glad mine didn’t. Hate to hear it.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the volume on the chimes can be adjusted without updating. for the rear sensors to work, you have to use channels 7&8 for the rear speakers. when i updated the older units i was on the phone with nav tv doing a specific sequence to update them. not sure what update firmware you were using