Nav - TV Zen-A2B installed, chimes sound weird?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrotchCritter

Reaction score
So I went with a full install (replaced front door speakers with the AudioFrog GS690 and GS10 Tweeters) and it absolutely SCREAMS. AudioFrog is amazing! The subs are 2 NVX 12" VCW series and they POUND. Love the setup and it's insanely crisp and clear. It will hurt your chest with the bass in it, due to me installing a seat lift to get the monstrous subwoofers in.

With all that being said, my chimes (door open, not in park, etc) and warning chimes (backing up) all sound like shit. They're very "tinny" and I am not pleased with it. Also the volume seems to be lower on them...

Everything was professionally installed, and I was told it's just how the NAV-TV board processes the chimes. Is there something I can do? Is this adjusted or fixable? Has anyone else noticed a change in chime???

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My chimes work and sound like OEM. Sometimes the chimes will revert back to the IPC and sound more "tinny". I dont know how long you have had your unit installed but 1. Make sure the firmware is up to date. 2. Make sure chimes are setup properly in the navtv settings portal. Instructions to update and make changes to chimes /chime volume are on their website. 3. It can also take time for the module to learn to the truck and always play properly through the speakers.

Steve DeVito

Reaction score
I too just had a new system installed with the Nav Zen A2B. My backup chime volume is very low. I adjusted the chime volume which did not affect the backup chimes. Did you find a solution?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Instrument Cluster (IPC) is the chime arbitrator. If there are DTCs in the Audio Control Module (ACM) or it has been replaced entirely due to an aftermarket system, the chimes default to the IPC speaker.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The Instrument Cluster (IPC) is the chime arbitrator. If there are DTCs in the Audio Control Module (ACM) or it has been replaced entirely due to an aftermarket system, the chimes default to the IPC speaker.

I never thought to check for the DTCs for this.

I have the R/F DSR1, not the NAVTV but on that unit the chimes are selectable through either the dash speaker or the audio system speakers.

If it’s coming through the dash speaker and wimpy, it may not necessarily be a bad thing. Every once in a while I can elicit a situation in which the chimes need to sound, but instead of sounding normally, now they sound with a FULL 75W RMS at max volume. Open the door with the truck in gear but stopped for example. put in gear with parking brake on, etc. This causes 2 issues for me. 1) If I’m listening to tunes at moderate to high volume and do this, there’s a brief hand off moment where the music volume increases and then the chimes sound at full blast, and then things go back to normal. It’s a bit jarring. 2) the chimes LOUD.

However, through the dash speaker, it’s nowhere near as loud. :)

You can also get sound through the dash speaker instead of the audio system if the truck’s battery management system thinks the battery charge is low. It’s a hollow, tinny sounding chime, instead of the deep, rich chime tones you normally hear - same as if you select the center dash speaker for chimes in the audio system.

I don’t know if the NAVTV zen users have / had the same loud chimes issue I’ve had, but if so, it may be better on the dash speaker for those ‘corner case’ scenarios. I always forget to mess with that setting, and kick myself for not doing it when I get the loud nasty-gram chimes.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nav tv have chime volume adjustments. none of the trucks i have done have had an issue with the chimes being too loud. just one case of them not functioning properly, which was resolved with the update that nav tv has