Nav System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyhigh18

Reaction score
Is it just me or does the Ford voice/Nav system suck. I've had the truck for about 8 months and I end up yelling at the nav because it NEVER gets the right destination or I have to wait for it to quit telling me what to say. I end up using google maps on my phone, and it gets it right every time. Go figure.

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have difficulty getting it to work but I don't use it much.
With practice, I'm sure it be easier.
I usually put the crosshairs on the destination, then tell it to navigate.
This is easier for me.
Not easy if you do not know the location and only have an address.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s you, for sure. :)

Pro-tip: don’t try to communicate with your truck verbally with windows / moon roof open. It’s a recipe for frustration.

so, voice prompts can be turned off for sync, once you have the commands down. I’m not sure that would help though, due to the menu based system. For example, if I wanted to nav from home to the Willett distillery in Bardstown, KY I think we have to search in another state then nav. I need to confirm that but using menu based nav, I have to.

It’s not like Garmin is significantly better at finding and responding and factory nav has come along at a time when smart phone nav has pretty much eclipsed vehicle nav. OTOH, sometimes you don’t want to be fumbling around with your phone, and driving is a good time to not be fumbling with your phone.

I don’t mind waze, but I’m not as familiar with its interface and hate messing with the cords for CarPlay.

These are definitely First World Problems.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've only really used the Ford nav a couple times, and never by voice. I can tell the map hasn't been updated in a while since it doesn't show my neighborhood existing.

If you are using an android, you can use android auto over bluetooth, which is helpful. That will give you waze or google maps. With google maps, you can find the address on your phone and then send it over to the truck screen. Done that once or twice.

Really though, I don't have the patients to train myself to learn how to set navigation coordinates 'on the fly' so I tend to just set destinations manually before I get going, rather than use voice. Really, I tend not to use voice control in general for that same reason, too lazy to change my ways.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar issues/frustration with the way Ford's nav app works. I now plug in my phone and use CarPlay/Siri/Apple maps if I need on the fly navigation. Much smoother interface.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a factory NAV system I think it's amazing. Learning the commands might help but I've never had an issue and I use it frequently.

I agree google is overall better/easier but you lose so much integration...for example do you know that your nav will display on your gauge cluster?
I also don't like having to plug my phone in every time I want to navigate.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
For a factory NAV system I think it's amazing. Learning the commands might help but I've never had an issue and I use it frequently.

I agree google is overall better/easier but you lose so much integration...for example do you know that your nav will display on your gauge cluster?
I also don't like having to plug my phone in every time I want to navigate.

I think I've read about the Nav displaying on the gauge cluster before but never understood the process.

Could you elaborate.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I think I've read about the Nav displaying on the gauge cluster before but never understood the process.

Could you elaborate.

if you have ‘compass’ displaying on the dash and are navigating somewhere, the dash shows the next turn direction and distance in the gauge cluster.

vazo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only really used the Ford nav a couple times, and never by voice. I can tell the map hasn't been updated in a while since it doesn't show my neighborhood existing.

If you are using an android, you can use android auto over bluetooth, which is helpful. That will give you waze or google maps. With google maps, you can find the address on your phone and then send it over to the truck screen. Done that once or twice.

Really though, I don't have the patients to train myself to learn how to set navigation coordinates 'on the fly' so I tend to just set destinations manually before I get going, rather than use voice. Really, I tend not to use voice control in general for that same reason, too lazy to change my ways.

How do you use android over Bluetooth? Right now I’m using my phone plugged in with android auto to use waze

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do you use android over Bluetooth? Right now I’m using my phone plugged in with android auto to use waze

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't recall exactly, but just looked at the settings in Android Auto on your phone. Towards the bottom, you'll see an option to Use Bluetooth. I believe that's the right setting. I'm not using AA anymore as it looked like it was interfering with Ford +Alexa...and now I'm using the Phoenix Android PX6.