Nav System map update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if you have to buy the update every year to have the latest and greatest or if say I buy the 2015 update when it comes out it will include all the precise years updates.

I would think out would/should but???

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had an old pioneer avic n1 in my minivan that i traded for the truck, it had the original map data from 2003 when i first got it. never updated it. the only thing that i had an issue with, was when the new roads were built. there was of course no data for that, but new roads are being built every day so there is no way to keep on top of it.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if you have to buy the update every year to have the latest and greatest or if say I buy the 2015 update when it comes out it will include all the precise years updates.

I would think out would/should but???
If you wait, you will receive the latest maps, the latest revision of GraceNote & the latest version of software for the Nav. system!

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why dont we get 20 of us to chip in 10 bucks, then we can just pass the disc around and all have the update?

I got a great way to do it- I'll buy it for 200.00, then sell it on the garage sale for 190.00, then the next guy loads it and sells it for 180.00 in the garage sale....etc.

We would just need a commitment to not leave someone hanging with the disc, but I trust you guys enough to try it and if someone buys it from a member and we get no more wanting it, just msg me and I'll pay your asking price on the garage sale (ie. if only 6 members do it, I'll pay the 140.00 to buy it back, after all it still saves me 60 bucks in the end...I will buy it anyway because there have been some major road updates in TX and building roads is my livelyhood. So its no loss to me. Thoughts?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure it would work that way...... however, i do need to verify that.

great idea though. i wonder if its possible to make copies of the data. i didnt think the data was on a disc? its not an sd card?

iHaveGas

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hate the Nav Map system and never use it. My iPhone maps work just fine if I really don't know where I'm going. I got that notice in the mail and just laughed.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why dont we get 20 of us to chip in 10 bucks, then we can just pass the disc around and all have the update?

I got a great way to do it- I'll buy it for 200.00, then sell it on the garage sale for 190.00, then the next guy loads it and sells it for 180.00 in the garage sale....etc.

We would just need a commitment to not leave someone hanging with the disc, but I trust you guys enough to try it and if someone buys it from a member and we get no more wanting it, just msg me and I'll pay your asking price on the garage sale (ie. if only 6 members do it, I'll pay the 140.00 to buy it back, after all it still saves me 60 bucks in the end...I will buy it anyway because there have been some major road updates in TX and building roads is my livelyhood. So its no loss to me. Thoughts?

I would imagine it's somehow tied to your VIN or the Serial Number on the stereo/nav unit. However, if it's not, count me in.

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I will see if thats the case. The only way Ford could do that is if they burn the DVD, (and it is a DVD) with some file that does a check for the radio ID, BUT that means they have to burn a DVD for EACH one ordered, and that seems like it would eat an awful lot of resources and man hours. The radio cant burn information back to the DVD, so it cant be a single use kind of thing, but Im buying it, so I guess we will find out.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think it will be that complicated. would you mind trying a few things once you get it? i have a couple things that might help.