NAV Subscription?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
I read that certain NAV services require a subscription (Sirius, etc) and other's don't. But I haven't read about NAV directions. Do you have to pay to get directions from the NAV?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I read that certain NAV services require a subscription (Sirius, etc) and other's don't. But I haven't read about NAV directions. Do you have to pay to get directions from the NAV?

No. It's all in there and updated periodically. Only Sirius and Travel Link require subscriptions.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I think on trucks equipped without the Nav, you can somehow get voice-guided turn-by-turn directions using Sync. This service is free for a period (think a few years) and paid thereafter. It is similar to GM's OnStar navigation. I think even my nav-equipped truck comes with this "feature", but have never and will never use it.

SYNC | Features for SYNC Mobile, Entertainment, Travel & Directions | Ford.com

OP
OP
BMart

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
I think I was reading about subscriptions for free for the first 3 years, but are you sure the turn-by-turn without Nav requires it? I thought the subscription was just for Sirius and Travel Link (which I believe is weather, gas locations, etc). I can't imagine Ford charging for turn by turn, seeing how you can buy a Garmin Nuvi and get turn by turn voice navigation with no subscription.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I think I was reading about subscriptions for free for the first 3 years, but are you sure the turn-by-turn without Nav requires it? I thought the subscription was just for Sirius and Travel Link (which I believe is weather, gas locations, etc). I can't imagine Ford charging for turn by turn, seeing how you can buy a Garmin Nuvi and get turn by turn voice navigation with no subscription.

I'm not talking about your touch-screen Nav. This is something else that runs through Sync and I think uses your mobile phone. If you have the touch-screen Nav, using this "feature" would be silly. The touchscreen nav is NOT a subscription item.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
BMart maybe I misunderstood your question, but the navigation interface does not require a subscription however I do believe if you want to update your maps you have to buy the DVD from the company that provides the maps for the SYNC system. Maybe Randy can chime in here.

OP
OP
BMart

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
BMart maybe I misunderstood your question, but the navigation interface does not require a subscription however I do believe if you want to update your maps you have to buy the DVD from the company that provides the maps for the SYNC system. Maybe Randy can chime in here.

That makes sense to me.

Droid, in my reply to you, I wasn't talking about the touch screen NAV either. I was saying how I thought it was odd that they wouldn't charge for the touchscreen version, but they would for the non-touchscreen version. But now that you're saying it's through a phone, I could see that...

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
My parents bought me the full package for the sync system for 3 years, map updates, gas stations, weather, movie theatres, traffic, everything. Its crazy expensive.

kglesq

Droid's Brother
Reaction score

Yeah, I believe that Randy knows all about this one, so he should be able to answer any questions you have on the subject. He has a post here about it: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f52/sync-traffic-direction-information-services-renewal-778/

I have the touchscreen nav so it's not something that has been of concern to me, and thus I know essentially nothing about how that system functions or what it costs to use.