Natural Gas Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdpyvr

Reaction score
I’m posting this as I keep patiently waiting for my 35 Agate Black Raptor ordered in Jan, with still no production date. Fun! I’m based in Vancouver, Canada. Where we are paying about $2.25 a litre of regular.

Has anyone thought about doing a natural gas conversion? I know it may not be a popular decision for premium trucks. However, I grew up in Italy where people would convert Porsche Cayenne Turbos to run on propane / LPG. Downside you can’t park underground, upside you can run on either propane or regular/ premium gas.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can’t park underground? Who the F would know? You gonna put a big decal on the side saying natural fart vehicle?

And just where is the infrastructure to fill up with NG as you travel? Be sure to report back when you do it.

In case you haven’t notice, the price of propane has skyrocketed with everything else.

If worries about gas price, perhaps a Prius?

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We run LPG cop cars here in the states; they park in an underground garage, albeit semi vented as it has grates on the “windows” to the two lower levels.

Never heard they can’t be “underground”, although I guess they technically aren’t here.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can understand not being able to park underground. If a gas leak occurred, it could get very interesting.
As far as being natural gas powered? I guess if you own your own natural gas well (like many in my area do) it would be a no brainer. Free fuel.
If not, I have trouble seeing any advantage considering the added expense for natural gas conversion and very limited refueling points.
It would make me uneasy to have a canister of compressed gas that close to me if I were in a bad wreck.
Having ~30 gallons of gasoline in a plastic tank within 10' of me is bad enough.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can’t park underground? Who the F would know? You gonna put a big decal on the side saying natural fart vehicle?

And just where is the infrastructure to fill up with NG as you travel? Be sure to report back when you do it.

In case you haven’t notice, the price of propane has skyrocketed with everything else.

If worries about gas price, perhaps a Prius?
You actually have to put a decal in the windshield, lol. Lots of companies were doing the conversions years ago, don't see much of it anymore on non-commercial vehicles.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DON'T DO IT.
My company bought many converted Jeeps and Pickups. I tested most of them. Mileage is worse, range is horrible, and cold weather issues are guaranteed. Pressure vessel takes up a ton of bed space too. Not worth the conversion cost either.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
DON'T DO IT.
My company bought many converted Jeeps and Pickups. I tested most of them. Mileage is worse, range is horrible, and cold weather issues are guaranteed. Pressure vessel takes up a ton of bed space too. Not worth the conversion cost either.
Agreed. And then when there’s an issue, they want to you take it to the dealer to try and get it fixed under warranty, because the failure couldn’t possibly be attributed to all the aftermarket modifications (junk) they installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free