GEN 1 National Backorder Fox Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Medic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting over two months for a replacement for my right front strut (Ford Part # BL3Z18124J) to fix a leak the dealer found in my 2014 SCREW. Ford customer service says there is a national backorder, and can't provide an ETA on the part. Of course, this is covered by my ESP.

I checked some online parts places and it looks like Fox may not even make the shock anymore (one parts dealer says it's discontinued). This means my option seems to be installing the 3.0 Fox shocks that come on the '19s.

Is anyone else having problems sourcing parts like this?

OP
OP
Medic

Medic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilding is an option but then I'd be out of pocket. This is covered by the ESP. I can't believe they don't have the parts available. It makes no sense.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why can't they have it rebuilt?

It does make sense. When there is a recall to replace a part on a million vehicles, there is a waiting period to get the parts. There usually isn't a million of a specific part.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Id honestly just replace the front shocks with 3.0s if you can swing it.

rebuilds will never last as long as new shocks and the time between rebuilds will decrease as they wear .

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto had 2 in stock for about 12 hours last week. Summit Racing usually has a pretty accurate ship date on their page so I've been following that - it's currently 8/16 but they keep pushing it out.

I emailed Fox directly to see what the hold up is - unsurprisingly no response.

OP
OP
Medic

Medic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed them too. I’m going to try giving them a call to see if they even still make them.

OP
OP
Medic

Medic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why can't they have it rebuilt?

It does make sense. When there is a recall to replace a part on a million vehicles, there is a waiting period to get the parts. There usually isn't a million of a specific part.

Fair enough if there was a recall. If so, I missed it.

I think it’s more likely Ford’s ESP doesn’t want to spend 4x as much for a pair of 3.0s; they’d rather just replace one shock with the original. Problem for them is it looks like that shock might be unobtainium.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough if there was a recall. If so, I missed it.

I think it’s more likely Ford’s ESP doesn’t want to spend 4x as much for a pair of 3.0s; they’d rather just replace one shock with the original. Problem for them is it looks like that shock might be unobtainium.

There was not a recall on the shocks. I was using the info as an example. The dealer is not looking hard enough. Ford direct, where the dealer usually gets parts is out of stock, but it doesn't mean other dealers or suppliers doesn't have them.

OP
OP
Medic

Medic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree. I just spoke with Fox, and they say they are still making the OEM GEN1 shocks. Of course, they won't give a number or speak to availability because they only supply them to Ford. I'm hoping because the wait has been so long they'll cover installing the 3.0s on the ESP just to keep me happy.