Nasty noise on every startup.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty nasty noise on startup. Sounds like a bad rattle somewhere on the driver side, worse when cold. There's a metallic ting that can be heard in one of the two sound clips as well. That existed before the rattle. It can be heard in the cab and it sounds like its right behind the steering wheel.
Any ideas?
Yep, welcome to the Cam Phaser Failure club. I'm bringing mine in for Rd 2.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s the phaser rattle. Waste gate is quieter, more metallic, and lasts a lot longer.

Swannyman

Reaction score
My wife’s 2018 navigator, raptor engine, does this too. Sounds exactly like that when starting cold. Software update was supposed to fix it. Guess not.

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife’s 2018 navigator, raptor engine, does this too. Sounds exactly like that when starting cold. Software update was supposed to fix it. Guess not.
Update does not fix the phasers if you already have rattle. It was to prevent it from happening. I will say I had no issues, got the update, then a few months later need phasers replaced.

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update does not fix the phasers if you already have rattle. It was to prevent it from happening. I will say I had no issues, got the update, then a few months later need phasers replaced.

Yeah my 2018 had the software update with no apparent issues and developed the rattle at 55k. Going under the knife next week to get them replaced.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my 2018 developed this, if you crank it longer w/ gas down it’ll prevent the sound, I suppose b/c that causes oil to make its way to the top end @ cold start? I never got it fixed b/c that truck got totaled in an accident.

26k miles on my 2020 & no issues whatsoever- hoping they finally fixed it for 2020 model year….supposedly mid-2019 was the redesign, but there have been 2019 guys here posting w/ the issue, haven’t heard of anyone w/ a 2020 or a gen3 w/ cam phaser noise

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% wrong. Clearly you don't know what bad cam phasers sound like.
Yeah sorry. Didn't get a good listen on the mp3s... Phasers make a racket. Wastegate like a little tinkling chain sound.

Please forgive me nikhsub1 !!!!!