GEN 2 Name this Part # - skid plate retaining spring clip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to remove the heavy gauge front skid plate on Gen2 (2018) and the rear driver's side bolt wouldn't budge. Put a little more effort into the socket wrench and "snap"!! Now the bolt just spins. Tried putting downward pressure on it with a pry bar...no luck. Still spins.

Have read about people having issues with many of the other clips under there...but can't find any posts about the two rear bolts on a Gen2 that bolt up through the front skid plate (5C076 on parts diagram, Part# 5B018), then the steering gear protection guard bar (17757 on parts diagram, Part# 8307), then the front crossmember shield (5D032A on parts diagram, Part# 5D032) and then the clip that apparently inserts into the frame beam...I can't say for sure how as I can't remove it to inspect.

** So tips please on how to remove and what the replacement part # is. **

I bought one of the 3" long HB1 bolts (Part# W719161) as I assume I'll probably have to grind off the head to get the skid plates and guard bar off. The parts desk and service dept. that I went to at a Ford dealer in Denver had no clue...but I went ahead and bought one of the HN6 spring nuts (Part# W710650) even though I can tell by looking at it that it is not the correct part. The HN6 is for the oil filter access panel.

Attachments

• IMG_9510 2.jpg
    IMG_9510 2.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9508.jpg
    IMG_9508.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9511.MOV
    9.7 MB
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 2.12.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 2.12.57 PM.png
    327.8 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
bfr

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looking further I'm now guessing it is actually the
HN2 Adjusting Screw Nut Part #: W717634 that I need...that nut just snaps off the back. So confirmation I guess of that and then removal suggestions. Thanks!!

OP
OP
bfr

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been busy...still haven't tackled this yet. Anyone had to remove this particular bolt with a broken screw nut just spinning up inside the frame rail? Anyone happen to have picture of what that beam and screw nut look like when the bolt, bar and plates are removed?

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have aftermarket plates from RCI Off Road. They sell just the hardware kit though, although meant for for their own plates, I don't see why they wouldn't work on stock. It should have new nuts with the spring clip and bolts.

most frantic

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you figure this out? I need HN2 and HM3. Since 2 is on the outside I can use a wrench on it, want to fix it though.

OP
OP
bfr

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. I've been traveling a bunch. Figure I'm just gonna have to cut the bolt, drop everything out of the way and see what I find.

CV66

Reaction score
Those spring clips you are mentioning; are you referring to the "nuts" the bolts thread into? If so they're referred to as extruded u-nuts, and are commonly sold at NAPA and some hardware stores. Need metric thread. If not, sorry I've misunderstood what you're referring to.

Blkshp18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had two of these clip nuts snap on me today. Took a deep breath to calm myself down rather than getting angry. After all, getting angry wouldn’t have fixed the problem. Anyway, The rear skid plate bolt spun and wouldn’t come out after it snapped. There’s a rectangular opening in the frame rail. I stuck a wrench through the hole to hold the nut in place to remove the screw and it worked. The other clip nut that snapped was near the front of the bumper. I did the same thing using a wrench. Stuck it through the side, but that didn’t work as good as it did when I stuck it through the opening where the tow hook is located. There are plastic flaps that can be moved out of the way to let the wrench through and then I was able to take the bolt out. Took a while, but patience and the right tool are key.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those spring clips you are mentioning; are you referring to the "nuts" the bolts thread into? If so they're referred to as extruded u-nuts, and are commonly sold at NAPA and some hardware stores. Need metric thread. If not, sorry I've misunderstood what you're referring to.
These.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220918-185210_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220918-185210_Samsung Internet.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 19

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought one from Ford last week. HN2 on the diagram is part number W717634-S439