Nail in tire Wheel Weights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zwexpress

Reaction score
I recently had a nail attack my tire in a spot that couldn’t be fixed, took it Ford and had the tire replaced, When I got home I checked out the new tire and noticed there were no wheel weights attached. Is is normal to remove old weights and not replace with new? Any help is appreciated.

IMG_0480.jpeg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
did you look on the inside of the wheel? we don’t use the pound on with a hammer lead weights. I find it hard to believe there are no weights on a tire as difficult to balance as the ko2...

does the receipt say anything ( like tire beads? )

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
ok, great. the spare doesn’t come with weights or balancing, and I can only imagine the tooth jarring ride that would be.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They make patch plugs for sidewalls and edges these days, I would have just patched the tire and moved on.

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is the spare not balanced at factory? Seems that could be a potential safety issue.

No balance and no TPMS to save money. They actually don’t balance the spare tire on any of their trucks. On the raptor I find it kinda stupid because you get the exact same tire and rim as the other 4 on the truck. On other models you get a steel rim with a “similar” tire so it makes sense on those.

Safety wise they tell you in the manual not to exceed 50mph with the spare even though it’s the same tire and rim on our raptors but it’s not balanced.

Save yourself the headache, drop the spare and get it balanced. You don’t want to change a tire out on the highway and drive for a couple of hours with the shake and shimmy the unbalanced wheel will give you. Been there done that.

Cronex

Reaction score
If I decide to put a TPMS sensor in the spare, do I need to have it programmed into ECU or truck computer?

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I decide to put a TPMS sensor in the spare, do I need to have it programmed into ECU or truck computer?

I've heard that the truck will pick up the signal after so many miles. I've purchased a Ford TPMS sensor to have put in the spare soon and will have personal knowledge thereafter.