Mystery grinding noise after cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was under the impression it was the AC compressor. Try turning the hvac off and then do the auto start. It should go away.
If that doesn't solve your problem, take the serpentine belt off and start it up and see if its quiet, if so, start spinning the pulleys and tensioners to find the culprit.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for reviving an old thread. I recently picked up a 2014 and have been hearing this exact sound. Did anybody ever get down to the root cause?
I have found that turning off the HVAC system before startup eliminates the sound. After startup, when turning on the HVAC, I do not know if it still does it as the engine noise drowns out other sounds.

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2013 has the same noise on remote start since purchased in 2019. Daily driver has not blown up yet. Knock on wood. I think it is the AC compressor.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It definitely is IMO. Sometimes when it doesn’t produce the grinding noise, at the SAME exact time as it would normally, I can here the compressor kick in without the grind noise.