Mystery grinding noise after cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
So for awhile now I have been having a quick grinding noise that happens after the engine is cold started and running. About the time when the AC compressor kicks in. The grinding is very short and then goes away. Any ideas what it may be? I have replaced idler pulleys and serpentine belt last service and it did not do anything for the noise.

Rubes

Reaction score
I've noticed the same on mt 2014. I think I only now stared noticing it cause I remote start it when I'm walking up to it. in the winter I start from in the house and in the office, so never noticed it.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is some info from the Ford maintenance manual for some ideas:

When AdvanceTrac with RSC performs a normal system self-check, some drivers may notice a slight movement of the brake, and/or a rumble, grunting, or grinding noise after startup and when driving off.

Grinding noise — occurs during engine cranking.

-Incorrect starter motor mounting, INSPECT the starter motor for correct mounting. REPAIR as necessary. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 303 for the procedure.

-Starter motor CHECK the starter motor. INSTALL a new starter motor as necessary. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 303 for the procedure.

-Incorrect starter motor drive engagement. INSPECT the starter motor drive for wear or damage. INSTALL a new starter motor as necessary. Refer to the
appropriate section in Group 303 for the procedure.

-INSPECT the flywheel/flexplate for wear or damage. INSTALL a new flywheel/flexplate as necessary. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 303 for the procedure.

Caliraptor2lit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it too. More noticeable when I haven't driven the truck in a few days. Only when AC is on among start up. I just turned the settings of remote start to NOT adjust climate control automatically and whalaw

OP
OP
dixonk

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
Here is some info from the Ford maintenance manual for some ideas:

When AdvanceTrac with RSC performs a normal system self-check, some drivers may notice a slight movement of the brake, and/or a rumble, grunting, or grinding noise after startup and when driving off.

Grinding noise — occurs during engine cranking.

-Incorrect starter motor mounting, INSPECT the starter motor for correct mounting. REPAIR as necessary. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 303 for the procedure.

-Starter motor CHECK the starter motor. INSTALL a new starter motor as necessary. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 303 for the procedure.

-Incorrect starter motor drive engagement. INSPECT the starter motor drive for wear or damage. INSTALL a new starter motor as necessary. Refer to the

appropriate section in Group 303 for the procedure.

-INSPECT the flywheel/flexplate for wear or damage. INSTALL a new flywheel/flexplate as necessary. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 303 for the procedure.

If it was starter wouldn’t it grind upon startup not a few seconds after the engine is already running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

I got it too. More noticeable when I haven't driven the truck in a few days. Only when AC is on among start up. I just turned the settings of remote start to NOT adjust climate control automatically and whalaw

I don’t use the remote start very often. It’s garaged so no need to heat up. I do use it in the summer to get AC going but by then the truck has already been started and no noise. It only happens on cold starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
does someone have a video so we aren't confused on our own interpretations.
its 2018, we all have computers with cameras in our pockets by now.

my a/c pulley makes noise the whole time its running, something i need to fix.
maybe the pulleys just suck lol.

OP
OP
dixonk

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
does someone have a video so we aren't confused on our own interpretations.
its 2018, we all have computers with cameras in our pockets by now.

my a/c pulley makes noise the whole time its running, something i need to fix.
maybe the pulleys just suck lol.

I need to get a video. I don't do much social media or anything so will need to figure out uploading it. In AZ for the weekend for daughters college graduation.

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the same thing too but mine is a hit or miss. I thought it was a IWE problem but it isn’t apparently.

LXCoupe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the ac compressor. One way to test is to change the remote start settings to use the last setting and not auto. Then turn on the face vents, heat to max, and make sure a/c light is off and front defroster is off. Remote start it and the compressor should stay off and not make the sound. Also, the truck must be cold for the sound, explanation below.

I chased this for awhile and replaced the ac pulley, clutch, and clutch coil. I found that once the compressor sits for a long period of time it gets stubborn to turn and this sound is the first jolt of it turning. I didn't replace the compressor so I'm unsure if a new one will make the sound go away or not and if this sound is a sign of the compressor going bad. However, I remember reading somewhere that a Ford engineer said it's due to the compressor being the lowest part of the system and as it sits all the freon/oil drains down to it and makes it have more stress when it first turns over.