MyFord Touch, External drives, and Lossless Audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I know there are a fair amount of people out there that won't care about this, but after doing a fair amount of searching and some trial and error I figure there has got to be at least a few other people that might benefit from this. So here goes.

Since I got my truck I've been using my iPhone as my sole source of digital audio. I've got just shy of 5000 songs crammed onto it and the only way I could get that many was to reduce them all down to a standard 128kbps bitrate. Many people are probably satisfied with listening to music at that bitrate... I'm not. In fact, most of my mp3's are at 320kbps and a good 1000+ were directed ripped in Apples Lossless format (essentially a direct 1 to 1 copy of the original cd track, but occupying less drive space than the same cd track). Just these 1000+ tracks take up close to 40gb. So even with my 64GB iPhone, there is no way they can all fit on there. Add on to that the fact that every time I unplug my iPhone to get out it's anybody's guess what's going to start playing the next time I get in and hook it back up.

After doing some reading I decided an external drive of some sort would work well, be it an USB memory stick or an actual external hard drive. With 128GB sticks going for well over $100 I opted to go with a usb powered external hard drive.
HGST Touro 1TB
A little overkill, but what the hell... I figure if they ever come up with a hack for playing videos over usb I'll be well set for adding some movies. (Just a note... If you plan on using an external hard drive it needs to be formatted in the FAT 32 file system. This can't be done using windows built in formatting utility. I had to download and use this program. 2Tware Fat32Format It worked fine and MYFord Touch has no problem with the drive now.)

Ok, on to the good stuff. Acceptable audio formats!
First a little bit about basic CD rips and lossless audio.
Almost all CD's are encoded at 44khz and 16bits. As such virtually all audio players will be able to play a file encoded at this rate and bit depth, providing the player recognizes the file format (.mp3, .aac, .flac, .m4a, .wma, ect...). A full audio cd ripped in an uncompressed WAV format will yield about 650mb of audio files. The same cd in the standard 128kbps mp3 format might be around 50-60mb. To do this the audio is compressed and bits are left out, meaning there will be an audible difference between the two. How big a difference depends on the person... as I said earlier, most won't care about this. To me they sound a little muddier and I tend to notice more distortion at lower volumes. Hence the reason I want to be able to use the "lossless" formats. They sound just like the original CD... which, in itself is slightly compressed from the master recording, but that's a whole other can of worms. ;-)

To take it a step further, I have 4 albums that are DVD-Audio. These are recorded at 96khz and 24bits, are often presented in stereo and full 5.1 surround, and are true lossless audio recordings. These are as close to the actual studio recordings as you can get. There may be a slight difference, but at this level of source material it has as much or more to do with the equipment playing it back.

On to my trial and error.

My first try was to simply transfer all my music to the external drive and plug it in to the Raptor. This sorta worked. Everything, except my Apple Lossless Files (ALAC)
I converted the ALAC files to uncompressed Wav. This worked slightly better, but not perfect. The direct cd rips(44khz/16bit) played but my 4 dvd-a rips(96khz/24bit) would not. on top of this I noticed that the MyFord Touch interface was having some trouble with the ID3 tag information on the wavs. The file names would show up, but nothing else. So that wasn't going to work.
Next I tried my old iPod Touch, which was loaded with a few of my ALAC files. It played perfect, leading me to believe that when a music player is hooked up it's doing the decoding internally and then transferring the music to the truck. (don't quote me on that, but that's what my logic is telling me.)

Anyway... this kind of bummed me out. I figured my next recourse was to buy an iPod Classic ($250) which would give me 160GB of storage space.
Then I stumbled across another file format I'd never used. Windows Media Audio (honestly... who owns a Zune). That's when the little light bulb went off. Microsoft SYNC... WMA... DUh!
So I tried this and am happy to report, complete success!
So here is what you should do if you want to get those ripped cd's sounding good.
I use the program dbPoweramp to rip/convert all of my music. It has tons of options and supports many types of formats. There are several plugins you can add on through the program as far as encoders go. The one you want for MyFord Touch compatibility is the WMA 10 encoder.

Once installed it is pretty straight forward. Select your music. Pick your encoder. Pick the encoder settings: Go with WMA 9.2 Lossless, and set the rest to match your source material (normally stereo, 44khz, and 16bits for cds). It's that easy. If there's any confusion, dbPoweramp has a pretty good guides and walk-throughs on their forums, and pretty good built in program help.

That's about it. As long as I was using WMA, I could get just about everything to play through my Raptor. Stereo-96khz/24bit on down all worked. The only thing that wouldn't was files encoded in 5.1 surround.

Hope that isn't too confusing and someone can benefit from it. I will say, the cruddy Sony audio system does sound much better if you feed it some good source audio. Cheers! :happy160:

rwjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info. Thanks.

Do you think it's really worth doing this with a crappy sound system in a vehicle? I don't think I see any real benefit over just plugging in my iPod. I agree that feeding better input to ANY system will sound better. But given what we're working with, I don't see the value.

I save high-quality music listening for my home systems where the equipment and acoustics are MUCH better. A car/truck with hi-fi audio just doesn't make sense. Too many ambient issues.

Thanks again for the tip on the hard drive. I was thinking about going that route so I never have to disconnect it. Leaves a question: hassle with carrying the iPod in and out, or hassle with updating the hard drive content when my music library changes?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harblar

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info. Thanks.

Do you think it's really worth doing this with a crappy sound system in a vehicle? I don't think I see any real benefit over just plugging in my iPod.

I save high-quality music listening for my home systems where the equipment and acoustics are MUCH better.

It depends on the person and/or their level of OCD. ;-)
Using your iPod, try ripping a cd in alac in iTunes and compare it to the same cd ripped in AAC at 128kbps. If you notice a difference, Great! If not, that's ok to.

To me, I notice a big difference. One of the DVD-a I ripped at 96khz/24bit was Metallica's Black Album! I noticed a lot more clarity in general and way less distortion as the volume knob went up.

As far as using and iPod or not, for me it came down to a space issue. Alac through the iPod sounds as good as wma out of the external drive.

I'm not saying it makes the Sony sound like Carnegie Hall, but it did make a notable improvement in my case. That being said, I'm still planning on complete system upgrade (speakers, amps, processor, subs, etc). I still need my metal louder!!! \m/ >_< \m/

Roark

Reaction score
I recently got a new Ford Focus ST, and I am attempting the same set up in my car. I'm very happy to have found this thread, because I was getting frustrated with finding a lossless audio solution with my 64gb USB flash drive.

One thing I'm having issues with however, and I'm hoping there's an answer, is that there seems to be roughly a 1 second gap between songs. This is incredibly noticeable on albums that thread songs together where they lead right in to the next one. Annoying!

Have you found a solution for this?

OP
OP
Harblar

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Glad some one found my ramblings useful! :biggrin:

I haven't looked into this, but I would say this is most likely due to sync/mft and there probably isn't a viable work around at the moment. Does a CD play gapless when it should? I've no idea, myself... haven't even put a CD in it yet. Heh... If the CD plays gapless when it should, I would say it's an issue with software for playback of digital media files. If the CD has the gaps as well, it might be do to the hardware design. Hard to say, but the best chance of getting this to work would be if Ford/Microsoft updated the software to include the option for seamless playback, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It hasn't bothered me much since I tend to play my stuff on shuffle a lot, but I could see where that would be a pain. I'll keep an eye out and see if I can come across any info on this.

m213374u

Reaction score
Great guide, thanks for posting. The microsoft-wma connection is so obvious that I missed it too until you said something!

I'm having some trouble in my focus st getting the songs to play in the original order on the album though. When I browse through the folders, the tracks display in the proper order but once I hit play, the tracks sort alphabetically. Would making a playlist remedy this? I didn't see any options in myford touch but I'll play with it some more and post if I find anything.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great post and an even better solution! Very resourceful of you to figure this out. It's solutions and posts like these that make the forums valuable.

BTW, if anyone is looking for nearly brand new Mac Mini (great for high end audio solutions) I've got some for sale.

FYI: Guide to Mini Media Server

OilPatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info, I never even thought about trying to do this. So basically all I have to do to get my music(99.999% have been purchased thru iTunes) to the best audio format is purchase this dBpoweramp and it does it all? Then just transfer that music onto some type of external memory stick?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harblar

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great guide, thanks for posting. The microsoft-wma connection is so obvious that I missed it too until you said something!

I'm having some trouble in my focus st getting the songs to play in the original order on the album though. When I browse through the folders, the tracks display in the proper order but once I hit play, the tracks sort alphabetically. Would making a playlist remedy this? I didn't see any options in myford touch but I'll play with it some more and post if I find anything.

A playlist would probably work, but it shouldn't be needed. All of my albums play in correct order when I want as is.

Since yours are playing the tracks alphabetically I'm thinking it's more of an issue with your tagging than anything. Double check the tags on the tracks in your albums. The should all have track numbers filled in. In windows, right click on the audio file, select properties, and then go to the tab labeled "ID-Tag". Scroll down till you see a field labeled track followed by a number. If you don't see this field then you've discovered the problem. Click the "+Add" button and select the track field and enter the appropriate number.

If that is the problem and it seems to be common place throughout your collection, I'd recommend finding an automated tagging program of some kind.
It would save a ton of time! I've used Tuneup for iTunes with pretty good results. There are also a number of other tagging programs out there that will work with all formats and are free. Just do some looking to find whats best for you. For me it was just easier to get all the tags cleaned up in iTunes and then convert everything over to my desired format.

The other problem might be one with My Ford Touch. Double check to make sure you don't have shuffle or album shuffle turned on. Even if it's not showing them as active try turn shuffle off a couple times anyway. I seem to remember having some occasional issues with that when I first got my truck.

Would also suggest upgrading to the latest version of MFT. 99% of my problems went away when I did a few months back.

Great info, I never even thought about trying to do this. So basically all I have to do to get my music(99.999% have been purchased thru iTunes) to the best audio format is purchase this dBpoweramp and it does it all? Then just transfer that music onto some type of external memory stick?

Yep, that's about the sum of it. There are other, probably free, programs out there, but I've found dBpoweramp to be the easiest and most feature rich program for accomplishing this.

Just make sure the audio properties match up to the original file during the conversion. If your converting an iTunes purchase to a WMA you'll want to make sure the conversion properties are set to: bitrate 256 kbps, Sample Rate 44Khz, and bit depth 16. These are the typical properties of 99.9% of itunes purchases. Be sure to double check in windows by right clicking on the audio file, selecting properties, and going to the "Audio Properties" Tab. Plug what ever you see here into the corresponding boxes in the converter and you'll be good to go.

*Note: If you use different settings than the original file (a higher bit rate or sample rate, etc.) it will still play fine in your vehicle, but it will end up being a larger file and it won't sound any better than the original. Whatever the audio properties/qualities of your original file the conversion can't be any better.

Good luck! :headbang:

m213374u

Reaction score
Hey thanks for getting back to me.

After looking all over the internet and dealing with a bunch of stupid How to Use MyFord Touch videos on youtube, I finally found a solution on a Sync forum (or at least that's what it looks like). Anyway, EugenePHD said all you have to do is turn GraceNote management off in the options; I tried it and it worked perfectly!