My VHF install =)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
@johndjmix and @Dan06, Thank you guys so much. I have this radio and have been planning to mount it exactly as you have it but wanted to get the fascia/remote head element professionally done. Just got back from the Audio shop where the guy said basically the radio wouldn't fit (too deep) and we need to do a custom replacement panel where the sunglass holder etc is ...yada yada. I just got online to start looking for a unit with a shallower head and found this thread

So glad to see you have this mounted where I want it. After dozens of hours looking at install threads over the last 6 months I don't know how I missed this one!!!

Do either of you have shots of the cut headliner before you put the fascia on or shots of the cuts you made to the back of the head?

Thanks again,
K

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the TK790H unit and remote headunit on its way to me now. I need to find the bracket to mount it up there. I was hoping to find one that I can also have a coule switches also on the sides of it.

I have not received my headunit yet but how are you remote mounting the MIC. Does it have a separate port from the one on the head unit that you are tying into?

Kahuna

Reaction score
Silent, I bought a "JOTTO DESK CONSOLE FACE PLATE 425-6080" desk mount that looks similar to Dan's but is sort of gray and does not have 2 radiuses corners. it will need to be trimmed to depth and painted black but should work.

I actually like to have the mic hanging from the rear view mirror on a retractable cable so when I am wheeling I can grab and talk so I will just have it plugged into the front of the remote head. When not wheeling it will be in the centre console.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I might just but the PCI mount for the kenwood and then take it to a shop and see if we can make a plate that is wider with places for switches on both sides.

Kahuna

Reaction score
Shoot, if I saw that I would have bought it instead!

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

You could trim down the Raptor centre console faceplate and add switches on the side....

https://www.pciraceradios.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=-1634248881522966271

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Actually, scratch that it looks like its for a smaller radio.

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I figure I should be able to take this
https://www.pciraceradios.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=-2715141707279728383
Then have a shop make a larger plate that has a whole cut out for the PCI mount and also will have the switches. Have the plate mounted and then mount the PCI unit to that plate

Looks like the one I've got or at least pretty close

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

@johndjmix and @Dan06, Thank you guys so much. I have this radio and have been planning to mount it exactly as you have it but wanted to get the fascia/remote head element professionally done. Just got back from the Audio shop where the guy said basically the radio wouldn't fit (too deep) and we need to do a custom replacement panel where the sunglass holder etc is ...yada yada. I just got online to start looking for a unit with a shallower head and found this thread

So glad to see you have this mounted where I want it. After dozens of hours looking at install threads over the last 6 months I don't know how I missed this one!!!

Do either of you have shots of the cut headliner before you put the fascia on or shots of the cuts you made to the back of the head?

Thanks again,
K

Sorry, no pics of it during the install, but I do remember seeing pics of someone doing a similar one on here somewhere with the cut headliner.