My VHF install =)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had seen a post here where someone mounted their VHF radio overhead at the end of the overhead console to the rear of the sunglass holder. Loved it. So I did it.

When i started i took a lot of measurements, and I wasnt sure it would fit up there, but went for it anyways. Its amazing the space you have up there. Pretty scarey cutting the headliner, but turned out PERFECT. Advice, if you do this, cut the headliner with a razor blade, then you will have to cut a few layers of plastic behind it. Best tool for this is a "body saw". Basically a compact jig saw. Got one at harbor freight for around $30.

The radio is a Kenwood TK790H. I designed a simple bezel in autocad, and cut it from .070 aluminum on the CNC at my shop.

Radio body will mount behind the seat, the controll head is what is mounted in the pic. I have connectors on the way to relocate the mic down to the dash area and have re-wired the mic to use a 8 pin inline connector that i will have a female on the dash. Factory install style.

Best part is, it not only fit, but i didnt even have to cut the sunglass holder plastic. From inside where the sunglasses are held the plastic is untouched.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 245
OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan that's awesome! Same radio!!!! Did you have to cut the plastic case a bit? I did, it was that or remove the back cover. With the angle it was hitting the roof

memheli

Reaction score
man these are awesome. I have an Icom 706 Mark II. It's just the faceplate like this model, detachable. I think it would look real good up there. I may have to do this. I also am thinking about drilling out 2 NMO mounts while I'm at it so I can run both VHF/UHF and HF...although I have no currently plans for an HF antenna.
Nice job!

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Memheli, the antenna is a Delima for me since I live in a apartment and have to park in the parking garage which my raptor just barely clears the roof.

What I'm doing is building a chase rack with a lightbar and antennas on a actuator so I can bring it up and down.

--John

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan06, how did you wire the mic? Did you somehow run the wires out of that connector on the radio or did you just extend the mic cable?

--john

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished up the interior stuff today. Cut a piece of 3/16 on my CNC and bent it on my brake. It mounts to the rear seat bolts behind the pass side rear screw seat. The black unit is my kenwood and the blue box is my cell booster.

image-1449700449.jpg