My Unsatisfactory Experience With Morimoto XB Headlights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Okay I gotta be honest. I'm suspecting something is going on with your truck that's causing all these issues. You've had more issues then all of my customers combined, and we're a master dealer for Morimoto.

Do this... the side that is NOT working, apply power direct to it.

The middle pin on your H13 is the ground, the other sides are the low/high triggers.

Try giving it power direct with some alligator clips. See if it lights up. If it does, then the issue is with your H13 connector. WHICH is a common problem.

That H13 connector sometimes does not make a good connection. Sometimes you need to bend the pins a bit, other times using a male to female extension helps as well, due to Ford's H13 connector being so TIGHT.

But try applying direct power first, see if the light actually works.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had issues when i converted my 2010 to 2014 HID . It was the factory h13 connectors , i ended up cutting out the connectors and then crimped , soldered and and heat shrink tube the wires . No more issues. 1627904942021.png

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you guys are right on. As with my first two units, it was definitely a pin fitment into the socket issue. I've re-seated everything and it seem to be operating fine for the time being. If it acts up again, I'll replace the connector on the passenger side like I did on the driver side.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that fix (re-seating the connector) only lasted a few days. If I think back to all other times I've had issues, it's usually when switching from high to low beam (switching between the two legs) that the lights just quit. Definitely a connection issue likely from the thin pins on the Morimotos. If anybody has this issue, look here. I'm not gonna be told it's "my truck" though. Especially if there have never been issues with stock bulbs. New socket inbound. Hopefully the will work. Seems to be holding up fine on the driver side.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, as frustrating as the situation has been, I've just spent more money with Morimoto. Ordered a set of their side marker lights (front and rear corners). I've already installed their grill lights and I'm happy with them so far.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headlight was still acting unreliable over the weekend. I could get them to kick on by messing with the wiring like on the driver side. So replace the connector yesterday:

IMG_7560.JPG

Hopefully that fixes all my woes. I also changed out all of the corner marker lights with the Morimotos. I'll post more on that in my build thread (link in sig) shortly.

BiggWigg

Reaction score
Long time listener, first time poster. Decided to bump thread.

Did the new plug solve your issues?

I'd like to upgrade my crappy OEM headlights but they work fine, just are dim. I already use Diode Dynamics pods when I want hi beams. A couple of their fog light pods to run with stock low beams are a lot cheaper and easier than dealing with 5 sets of expensive Morimotos...
Headlight was still acting unreliable over the weekend. I could get them to kick on by messing with the wiring like on the driver side. So replace the connector yesterday:

View attachment 316058

Hopefully that fixes all my woes. I also changed out all of the corner marker lights with the Morimotos. I'll post more on that in my build thread (link in sig) shortly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long time listener, first time poster. Decided to bump thread.

Did the new plus solve your issues?

I'd like to upgrade my crappy OEM headlights but they work fine, just are dim. I already use Diode Dynamics pods when I want hi beams. A couple of their fog light pods to run with stock low beams are a lot cheaper and easier than dealing with 5 sets of expensive Morimotos...

Haven't circled back to this thread in a while. I think ultimately the issues were on the truck side more than the headlight side. New plugs, checking the wiring, and being more careful with the application of dielectric grease and I've had not issues regarding function in a long time.

The new issue I've found with them is that I've been out in California for 7 months and I don't know if the UV just hits different out here or it's a factor of my not being able to care for my truck like I would back home, but the lenses are starting to haze (yellow) some. All of the black plastic trim on the truck also fading badly.

jp4lsu

Reaction score
I will concur with PD1744 that the pins in the Morimoto are flimsy and can get bent easily when plugging in. IIRC the brights would work on driver side but going to dim it wouldn't work. I swapped the lights to the opposite side and then the driver side worked. So that told me the non-working light had a connection or internal issue. I checked over the pins and one looked a little bent and likely wasn't making good contact once inserted. I think a bigger pin might not have had this issue. I fiddled with it and plugged and unplugged several times trying to get it to work. It finally started working and I haven't had and issue since.

PD1744, concerning the haze, I read somebody mention to ceramic coat the lense to prevent this. You saying that has reminded me that I need to try that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will concur with PD1744 that the pins in the Morimoto are flimsy and can get bent easily when plugging in. IIRC the brights would work on driver side but going to dim it wouldn't work. I swapped the lights to the opposite side and then the driver side worked. So that told me the non-working light had a connection or internal issue. I checked over the pins and one looked a little bent and likely wasn't making good contact once inserted. I think a bigger pin might not have had this issue. I fiddled with it and plugged and unplugged several times trying to get it to work. It finally started working and I haven't had and issue since.

PD1744, I read somebody mention to ceramic coat the lense to prevent this. You saying that has reminded me that I need to try that.

Thanks for adding to the thread. Yes ceramic definitely helps. I've got everything on both trucks coated in ceramic, but it will still require maintenance with time like everything.