GEN 1 My Trials and Tribulations for 37s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pew Pew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you might have caught this in my Facebook post, but if not, I hope you enjoy everything I have to say, and I am especially excited to see the sarcasm and brutality that drops in the comments. Please enjoy my journey to 37s.

To start, I read a lot. I did not want to become the next person to ask if 37s will fit. I already knew what tires I wanted; I just needed to know what to do so I didn't run into issues, however, as you read ahead you will see that I didn't pay enough attention. Amazingly, I bought this truck in the hope of playing with it but quickly realized that I do not have enough money to replace "Raptor" parts thanks to my enlisted military salary. So, it is my street queen. Judge if you will.

I started by purchasing the tires. I did a lot of research and ended up buying from 4 wheel parts. I went with BFG KM3 37/12.5R17. I got them at invoice with $125 off for five no tax and no shipping. I couldn't ask for much more than that. Then the damn coronavirus took hold. I lost my ability to use the shop facilities on base and had to do everything in my garage. Usually, this isn't a problem, but damn I love beer, and it is never in short supply at my house. And so begin my problems.

I knew mid perch was a must. I looked up some posts and videos and felt confident. My truck is a 2014 with 99,000 miles. I knew it would not be as easy as I wanted. So, I got my springs compressed and tried to take out that stupid set screw on the driver's side. Of course, it stripped. I went through my screw extractor set and was unsuccessful. So, the next option was to drill it out. Life was excellent and I got it drilled out. Then beat the collar up, which started peeling up the FOX decal and added resistance with every hit. Finally, I was set to mid perch. Then I moved to the passenger side. Everything went along identically to the driver's side except that stupid unnecessary set screw. I got overconfident and DRILLED THROUGH THE DAMN SHOCK BODY (enjoy the aftermath video)! After getting covered in shock fluid and getting it in my eyes, I decided to leave it as it was and shower and sleep it off.

The following day, I pulled the shocks out of the front and let it sit. I got in touch with Texas Shock Works. Since I was WAY over the rebuild period, I decided to do all four, knowing that one would be a full purchase instead of an exchange. Yay. But TSW was super legit. I ordered a rush and had them within four days. AND, I paid for no extras, but very clearly got some of their additional goodies.

Since I was waiting for shocks, I decided to cut and hammer in the pinch welds. I got after removing the flares and liner. Only broke off five clips, so I call that a win! This time I started on the passenger side since I had terrible luck there and felt like making my mistakes early. All was well. Cutting was simple. Even hammering was easy. I didn't need the ten lb sledge that most recommended. A five pounder with a short handle had no problem making quick work of flattening. Then I moved to the driver's side. Cuts were going well until I got to the top. Then the angle grinder caught and pulled. It ripped partially through the closest wire bundle, amazing. Thank god I am a helicopter mechanic. Still, two of the wires were the same purple with no differentiation. I took was a random guess at which went where, and I have no lights yet. So I think I got it fixed.

So, it took me replacing all my shocks, being without a vehicle for almost a week and splicing ten wires to know finally make it to the end. I hope that someone learns from my mistakes, and I hope that the rest of you get enjoyment from my retardation. Finally, lessons learned, there is a fine line between drinking and working and working drunk.

I posted 36 photos and a video, in case anyone is dying to see anything more than the highlight pics. Here's the link: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/media/albums/journey-to-37.2111/

View media item 14898View media item 14903View media item 14906View media item 14907View media item 14912View media item 14913View media item 14914View media item 14915View media item 14916View media item 14917View media item 14927View media item 14922View media item 14923View media item 14933

D

Deleted member 12951

Have to say, I cracked up when I read you cut through the wires, LOL.
I've done quite a bit of modding on mine myself and I do agree, it can definitely be an adventure. Something what should take a couple hours takes double that if not longer. How many things I have run into or made mistakes is always tedious. Personally when I went to 37's, I did boatec fenders but even then I cannot keep the liners in when off-roading. The last event, I ripped out the drivers side and completely ruined it. Not sure if going to 37's is really worth it. I haven't upgraded the gears and not sure I will because of the added cost.

Not sure I like those wheel decals. Where did you get those and do they really stay on? For how much I rub the tires and airing down into the 20's, not sure they would stick.

What is the hood graphic that you have?

OP
OP
Pew Pew

Pew Pew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to say, I cracked up when I read you cut through the wires, LOL.
I've done quite a bit of modding on mine myself and I do agree, it can definitely be an adventure. Something what should take a couple hours takes double that if not longer. How many things I have run into or made mistakes is always tedious. Personally when I went to 37's, I did boatec fenders but even then I cannot keep the liners in when off-roading. The last event, I ripped out the drivers side and completely ruined it. Not sure if going to 37's is really worth it. I haven't upgraded the gears and not sure I will because of the added cost.

Not sure I like those wheel decals. Where did you get those and do they really stay on? For how much I rub the tires and airing down into the 20's, not sure they would stick.

What is the hood graphic that you have?

This was the most extensive work in terms of modification I have done to the truck other than cutting a couple of holes in the back bumper for light pods. It was terrifying. Especially when things started going wrong lol. Working on other people's vehicles is easy because I don't pay for the screw-up! For me, 37s was more of an aesthetic choice. I needed tires anyway so I went for it. After getting the letters and putting them on, I am not sure how they will hold up to the test of time either. Hopefully, they weren't a total waste.

One day when this becomes a toy and not a daily driver I will play, but other than going WOT on the road to listen to the exhaust, my offroading mostly consists of driving on the lawn to give her a bath. Plus, there isn't much near DC that I have found that isn't paved.

I got the hood and grille graphics a couple of years back as a divorce present to myself. I got them from Rappy Graphics before the licensing scandal with Ford and haven't seen it since. 20161128_184143.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

You need to check out Raptor Take Over (RTO) if you are on the East coast.
I just got back from the event down in Georgia, there was something like 147 raptors there and I drove there from Missouri. Sometimes you have to drive a ways to have fun but it's worth it. Once you catch the off-road bug, its hard to not want more.

Yeah, I have a hood decal and valance from Rappy that is still in the tub that I bought a few years ago. Bought quite of few of his stuff over the years.

OP
OP
Pew Pew

Pew Pew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I have been so far out of the loop on the Raptor community. I think this upgrade experience may have sucked me back in lol. Now I am running all over the forum. It may be time to spread the wings again and look for a group out here.

Rollofire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my!!! I was laughing so hard as i read your story because this is what would happen to me if i tried a project like that.
But in the end it turned out great, Thank you for a very amazing story to start my day off with :)

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow you are very brave for taking up that project. But nothing like working on your own raptor. Great write up. Wish you luck on your next project and thanks for serving...

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, quite a story. I had those same tires in the same size on OEM rims on my previous Gen II Raptor (leveled) and had no issues with rubbing or anything else, but I didn't do it myself either. I like the added color on the tires. What did you do that with?

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those ******* decals right?!! I swear I never read in a single thread about going to mid perch about those ******* things, and I think I read a lot of them before I did it to mine (while rebuilding them with the help of the DIY thread). But great story man I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one that runs into shit like that haha!!!

I got a good laugh out of it so I'll return the favor and share a couple of mine heh. When I did the aforementioned shock rebuild and mid perch, I completely spaced out that those little setscrew bastards were even there; wound up using a 12-ton press to move that collar, trimming and fighting that ******* decal the whole way. I thought it was just corrosion, the decal, or decal residue at the time, only after everything was buttoned up did I return to the forum and realize...oh yeah there's a circlip AND a setscrew...oops. Guess I'll find out on the next rebuild if I ruined the cans, worst case I'll just replace the bodies, and didn't seem to affect performance but still, shit does happen.

I know that sinking feeling of dread and/or self-loathing of severing that wiring harness, although I haven't done THAT, ******* the luck haha! But I got one that's close. When I bought mine (used), it had a small crack in the windshield, which of course went right up the driver's field of view, so I saved some pennies and got it replaced by a local guy that did a bunch for the company I worked for. Beforehand I had ordered a set of precut window tint since I kinda liked the tint that was on the windshield (again, by previous owner). Side windows went great, I kept the windshield tint for the new one. Got to bullshitting with the guy while he installed it and forgot to ask him to leave the rearview mirror off so I could put on the tint; he drives off, I realize I need to pull it, try with no luck. YouTube help! Oh sure pry it right off of there, just a flat spring, no worries. **** no. I pry, little puck that's glued to windshield flies off with the rearview mirror, and cracks the ******* less than an hour old windshield. FML. And what's even worse is, the tint was two separate pieces so it would have installed (albeit with a gap, which probably isn't even noticeable) without even taking the rearview mirror off at all. So I said **** it and threw it away, replaced the windshield again a month or two later, and vowed never to **** with glass again if I could help it heh.