GEN 2 My thoughts on my new Raptor and Questions !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 802 a according to my build sheet.

Some people will understand what I am saying some won't. I have owned in excess of 200 or 300 vehicles. If this was my first truck I would probably be on the moon. I think they blew it with this engine in this application, you can get the same engine in a Limited and its faster, seems like a bad strategy to me.

If that’s the case then why dwell on it. You have been through 300 cars. It’s not for you, Flip it and move on

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Sounds like something is wrong with your truck. Mine has plenty of power at any speed, when I mash the pedal. Take it to the dealer.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can add the 93 PRX MPT Tune for about $700 (you get the nGauge and 3 tunes for that price) and it will really wake the truck up in all gears and at all speeds. Mine is faster and rides better than any previous truck I have owned. (not 200-300, but I have owned dozens of trucks)

I know several former Raptor owners have moved to the new Ram in recent years and they all seem to like it. To each his own.

OP
OP
Kraftei

Kraftei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There it is... the obligatory “move on”.

He asked what he could do to improve the truck... granted his surprise, like many, is why should you have to improve a $70+ truck.

Exactly, I just expected more for the price, that's it. that's all.

OP
OP
Kraftei

Kraftei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to sound condescending but if you engage R when the engine idles (900 rpm) then the transmission engages harshly.

Its not on start up, perform a 3 point turn quickly, you can't, you have to completely stop and wait for engagement.

OP
OP
Kraftei

Kraftei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can add the 93 PRX MPT Tune for about $700 (you get the nGauge and 3 tunes for that price) and it will really wake the truck up in all gears and at all speeds. Mine is faster and rides better than any previous truck I have owned. (not 200-300, but I have owned dozens of trucks)

I know several former Raptor owners have moved to the new Ram in recent years and they all seem to like it. To each his own.

Thanks I will research the tune. Its not a bad truck, its just when I drove the Ram I realized that it was not 40k better. Where did the extra 25k go ? I think it went into the badges. My buddy bought a new Harley, with upgrades he is sitting at 65k, he freely admits a old stock Victory with similar upgrades would cost half the price and be just as good. Same situation me thinks.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you didn't buy it for it's off-road capabilities but top end speed, you definitely purchased the wrong vehicle. That said, i'm not sure what you saw that made you think it was a triple digit speed demon. The 3 tons of mass? the tall ride height? off road suspension? big heavy off road tires? Yes, the same engine in a lighter vehicle will be faster.

OP
OP
Kraftei

Kraftei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you didn't buy it for it's off-road capabilities but top end speed, you definitely purchased the wrong vehicle. That said, i'm not sure what you saw that made you think it was a triple digit speed demon. The 3 tons of mass? the tall ride height? off road suspension? big heavy off road tires? Yes, the same engine in a lighter vehicle will be faster.

I never said that, my complaint was top end speed not off road abilities. I was expecting a little more out of 450 horsepower and 510 pound-feet of torque. I think people now a days get lost in the numbers, 450 hp is now considered slow. I grew up with 175 hp small blocks and 225 big blocks 4x4's. Sorry but if you don't have sht for passing power with 450 hp, something is not engineered right !