My raptor has a new friend (kinda?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jaymare404

Jaymare404

Reaction score
I gotta ask, how has well has that thing pulled so far? You are way over the tongue weight with that trailer (700 lbs) and I've been agonizing about that recently, but the rear of the truck doesn't seem to be sagging too bad. I'm wondering if I'm being too conservative because I've only been considering trailers with 4-500 tongue weights.
I am actually not over the tongue weight. I bought a blue ox weight distro hitch with the camper and it says on the hitch that the tongue weight withOUT a weight distro hitch is 500#. WITH weight distribution hitch 1100#. It pulled it just fine for the 5 hour drive. It did feel a slight bit compliant in the rear when semi trucks would fly past me doing the speed of light but I kept it around 65 the whole drive and it just cruised.

Ive honestly seen people say they are pulling heavier and larger trailers with their raptor on here. This camper is the absolute MAX I would allow myself/ my truck/ my wife to look at purchasing.

There is plans in the works in a few years to upgrade the rear leaves on the truck to the hd3+ but for now I am just going to run what I brung. We will see how it feels and how much more comfortable I feel as the camping season gets under way.

As for your situation, I would not have purchased this trailer WITHOUT a weight distro hitch. I would not put more tongue weight than what the factory recommends on the hitch. But like I said previously, with that kind of hitch, it does increase the tongue weight significantly. Ill see if i can find a picture of the placard on the hitch for reference.

OP
OP
Jaymare404

Jaymare404

Reaction score
Ok. I didnt have a manual with mine when I bought it so I didnt have that to go off of. I apologize if I misspoke. But even with the weight distro hitch I am within the safe towing tongue weight.

7GenTex

Reaction score
Ok. I didnt have a manual with mine when I bought it so I didnt have that to go off of. I apologize if I misspoke. But even with the weight distro hitch I am within the safe towing tongue weight.
You are likely over the payload rating though.............

Check your yellow tire loading sticker on the driver's door frame.

That value, less trailer tongue weight (and that #700 spec'd is "dry"), less all 4 occupants, less dogs, less gear....................

I'm going thru this now with a #4,000 dry / #500 tongue trailer - we shall see.

May be a F-150 Tremor in my future.

Last edited:

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My research still has me looking at trailers with a maximum of 4-500 lb tongue weight. My payload is only 1052 lbs and when you start taking everything into account--including the weight of the WDH--these trucks really can't tow very much.

And I'm OK with that, but I don't want to exceed any of the ratings. Seems like most people just ignore the numbers and do whatever they want.