GEN 2 My prediction on the 5.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
There are all kind of articles (rumors) saying that there will be a v8 option in the raptor sometime in 2020/2021...dealers nationwide are literally giving away the trucks right now and it’s late 2019...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, I don't think you know what "literally" means. If, by "literally" you mean giving about half the discount than any other F150 would receive, that isn't in a fly-over state, then you are on the right track, but your use of the word is still wrong. Literally. :)

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I find it strange and entertaining to switch back and forth between the Raptor and the M3. Just when I have myself convinced that the Raptor is pretty quick, and handles pretty well, I get in the M3 and am brought back to reality. Chainsaw versus scalpel.

I'll take the chainsaw over the scalpel every time!
(And I wasn't even born in Texas.)

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take the chainsaw over the scalpel every time!
(And I wasn't even born in Texas.)

That’s what I’ve been doing! But they are both really fun. Opposite ends of the driving spectrum.

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But you are a troll. A troll disguised as some one trying to have a conversation. When you start off your pontification by disparaging the gen 2 like you have, you have already showed your hand and there was no need to read further.

There are all kind of articles (rumors) saying that there will be a v8 option in the raptor sometime in 2020/2021...dealers nationwide are literally giving away the trucks right now and it’s late 2019... I don’t think that’s a coincidence. I mean my dealer is offering 2k under MSRP online with zero negotiating. I think Ford realizes that once the V8 drops No one will be buying the V6 and that the value will plummet.

Hence the nationwide give away. It’s completely different from when I bought my Gen 1, people were fighting to get the truck at MSRP.

When I looked at my 2014 that I ordered in Late 2013 dealerships had them marked 5 to 10,000 over MSRP and people were paying it.

I think the 5.2 will be an option like in 2010. That's how it went with the 5.4 and 6.2...started that the 5.4 was the base..and the 6.2 was a more expensive option...that only lasted one year. Then the 6.2 was standard...my guess...no one bought the 5.4 and ford realized they would loose money.

If history repeats its self...the 5.2 will be a more expensive option for a year maybe two while ford tests the water...no one and or very few people will buy the 3.5 and ford will ditch it like the 5.4

If they try to make the 5.2 a 80-90k maybe even 100k fully loaded with markup the truck won't sell. Then they'll have to do away with it..doing that will remind people how awesome a v8 would be in the raptor.

People will be left feeling like they are settling for a v6 that they really don't want. I feel that way now and the v8 isn't even official yet.

Why do I say all of this? I’m considering buying a 2019 and or ordering a 2020. My gut tells me to wait Incase the 5.2 becomes official.

With all the talk about Ford having to keep up with the new Rebel TRX with the HellCat engine coming in 2020 the 5.2 will become a reality. So do I buy a 19 at a steal or wait and pay full price for the 5.2.

What are your thoughts.

No I am not a V8 troll, just a guy who sold his 2014 raptor for a 2017 S6 and miss having a truck and considering another Raptor.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since we are playing the guessing game.

My guess would be
1) Gen 2 raptor is a higher production vehicle than the gen 1. Therefore the market is getting flooded and we are seeing prices go down as any highly produced vehicle on its 4th MY.
2) dealers are wanting to move the 19’s for allocations on the 2020. Shit, I don’t know. Everything just speculation.

alwaysworkin

Reaction score
So you guys with the M3s, 911's, and S6's; in your opinion, is the Raptor the closest thing you can get to an involved driving experience without actually owning two vehicles? I've been looking hard at Raptors as a way to get back into something that's more involving/fun to drive, but also keep the utility of the bed that I need all too often. I used to have a separate fun car (Cayman S) and truck but sold the Cayman due to it sitting more than being driven. My current life situation with business and family just doesn't lend well to dealing with an extra car, it became a headache and distraction. So I'm looking at the Raptor as a way to bridge the gap for the next few years. They are a blast to drive but, I just haven't been able to pull the trigger due to the sheer size of it. So used to small cars I'm worried I'll grow tired of it in short order.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s what I’ve been doing! But they are both really fun. Opposite ends of the driving spectrum.

Lol when I go from driving my Z06 for a stretch & switch back to the Raptor it’s downright dangerous haha - it takes a lil bit to get reacquainted w/ not being able to stop & turn on a dime.

And my wife’s ride is a ‘19 MDX- compared to the raptor or Z06 that thing almost feels like an appliance that drives itself, when I just wanna go from A to B & have zero interest in the actual driving experience that’s what I take, in a way it’s refreshing to be in a “regular” vehicle that doesn’t require any additional attention to keep it from spinning out or being noticed by the cops etc

JPete

Reaction score
One thing not being considered is the Internet rage of car buying... this wasn’t nearly as popular in Gen 1 days... granted, many more might be produced now... but ive watched these since January and even in summer the deals were still not there... I talked to 4–5 different dealers and I never realized once I told a guy I was going different direction they all went down... I’m sure with 4000 out there it’s buyers market... but I’ll never buy a car again another way than I just did... driver 3 hours away and got $6500 off the $75,300 MSRP

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you guys with the M3s, 911's, and S6's; in your opinion, is the Raptor the closest thing you can get to an involved driving experience without actually owning two vehicles? I've been looking hard at Raptors as a way to get back into something that's more involving/fun to drive, but also keep the utility of the bed that I need all too often. I used to have a separate fun car (Cayman S) and truck but sold the Cayman due to it sitting more than being driven. My current life situation with business and family just doesn't lend well to dealing with an extra car, it became a headache and distraction. So I'm looking at the Raptor as a way to bridge the gap for the next few years. They are a blast to drive but, I just haven't been able to pull the trigger due to the sheer size of it. So used to small cars I'm worried I'll grow tired of it in short order.

I’ve got a modded Z06 vette. It’s my favorite vehicle I’ve owned hands down & also the one I’ve kept the longest by far - 7 years & counting. I’m a gearhead & always preferred driving a stick shift & always “compromised” in my younger days when either for financial or practicality reasons I could only justify 1 vehicle it was always a performance oriented car that I would mod & always be disappointed on the abuse it would take as a DD - G8 GT, S4, GTO, Accord V6 stickshift, etc for example-

All that being said - my favorite DAILY DRIVER & all around vehicle in general is the Raptor & quite honestly it ain’t even close. Out of the cars mentioned above I also went through 4 GM 1/2 tons (‘07, 2x’14s & a loaded ‘15 w/ 6.2) & after driving a truck as a DD I don’t think I can ever substitute something else- the size/power/versatility/utility can’t be duplicated by a car or SUV. Other than my modded G8 GT the Raptor is the only DD that makes me grin every time I get in it & the only one I’ll look back at in parking lot to check out like I would my Vette. It has all the utility of a truck but is a vehicle w/ the looks/rarity/performance that still make it “special”- I’ve also gone the opposite route as I made more $$ was able to buy a performance car as my main vehicle (the S4 & GTO) & had a “beater” truck for the winter, errands, bad weather etc. If you threw the Raptor into the equation & I could only have 1 vehicle vs a POS & a nice car I would still take the Raptor on it’s own all day. It’s that good. For me, it hits all the right buttons & is the best compromise between utility/performance/looks/exclusivityetc. this gearhead could come up with hahaha A longtime GM diehard who also has an affinity for some German cars & I’m driving a Ford & even rocking a Ford hat on occasion lol

Hope that answers your question.