GEN 2 My prediction on the 5.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BobbyVA

BobbyVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Angy? Oh well. The way the post struck me is

1. Your 2013 Raptor was so cool it commanded over MSRP and people fought for them
2. Newer Raptors can't be given away because they have a poor V6
3. You won't even trade your Audi for one
4. People are feeling like they settled by buying a V6 because nothing else was better.

Sorry if I take this wrong but you are on a Ford Raptor forum, don't own a Raptor anymore and are feeling left out, now trying to convince us our V6's are simply undesirable?

Not how I meant it to come off. I’ll break it down by your points.

1. I mention the gen 2s specificity the19s being advertised for less than MSRP bc I’m using that and several recent articles mentioning a v8 in 2020/2021 to predict that something new is coming (namely the 5.2) and that Ford is trying to clear the lots. Look at the timing, it’s late 2019.

2. Goes to point one, it’s not bc they are so poor that they can’t give them away. My guess again is that they are clearing the lots for the 5.2 and that that 2020 will be a short production run.

3. That I wouldn’t trade my Audi...I’m literally having conversations with sales reps trying to see what kind of deal I can get on a 19 which would mean I would sell my Audi. And if I though the v6 was so poor (point 2) I would be considering buying one.

4. If I were to buy the 19 because of the lower price point and a v8 came out in 2021 yes I would have felt that I settled. That’s my opinion and believe others might feel that way too.

Yea I don’t own a Raptor anymore, I don’t feel left out lol I love my S6 I’m on the ford raptor forum because I’m considering buying one. I’m here just like I was in 2013 researching the truck to make an informed purchase.

I’m also talking it out so to speak (giving my opinions) to see what others think..not to prove anyone wrong or to feel cool about dropping names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my $0.02

1) The V8 if it happens will not happen in the GEN2 it won't come till GEN3. The only thing that might come to the GEN2 in 2021 MY might be the coil spring rear that has been seen on test mules, but I still think that is testing for the GEN3

2) If/When it comes in the GEN3 it will be optional and will be an upcharge. The Rebel TRX is going to be around $80-85K based on what the TrackHawk Grand Cherokee & Hellcats are selling for. I could see Ford offering the S/C V8 to compete with that but its too far upmarket that it would cut a lot of Raptor buyers out so they would still offer the HO V6 for the base to keep current pricing. The TRX is supposed to follow with a TR model a year later with a lower power engine similar to the current EB in the Raptor (this is all based on Rumors so take it with a grain of salt, but logically makes sense).

3) Keeping the HO V6 EB in as the base motor will also help keep resale of GEN2s in check

OP
OP
BobbyVA

BobbyVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t take the name dropping as anything other than ‘hey, here’s my sales guy’.
Don’t know whether you’re too gucci for FRF ( that’s the first I’ve heard that ref here, and ... I think I may need to use that quote ;-) )

digging my 2 new free Raps too

FWIW, the 3.5tt is what the 302 used to be - the workhorse engine platform. They crank these sucker out by the tractor trailer load and stuff them in all manner of stuff. It’s way smarter economically than a dedicated engine per platform and that’s important when the economy starts going south. If Ford doesn’t have a sustainable plan, performance types get the shaft first. Here, the Rap is a huge money maker for Ford and buttresses their truck cred. could they go for another power plant family in the next Raptor? yes, but what do the other models out there in Ford’s lineup say?

They just spent a butt-load of R&D going aluminum, lightening the truck and dropping a newer, heavier engine up front negates that, requires at least suspension redesign and cuts into profit potential. If they can crank more out of the EB, that’s financially smarter if it’s competitive or continues to dominate the ‘sand’ oriented market it’s targeted for.

And this is why I enjoy the forums...you learn things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not in this lifetime will a Dodge be desirable over my Raptor. No way, no how. Don't care what engine they put in it. It's still a Dodge.

To the OP, I happen to be an Audi fan. Have yet to own one but always liked them. The interiors are a thing of beauty.

I traded my 17 Raptor for a '18 Panamera 4 because I got tired of it after 10 months. I got tired of the Panamera in a week. Yeah, that's not a typo. I'm a bit ***** to say the least. Hard to please? Yep. Traded that for a '18 911 C4. Traded that after few months for a '18 Platinum.

And then I finally came to my senses and got a '19 Raptor. (Oh, I also got a '19 911T to scratch that itch). I love my Raptor. I actually reach for the key over the Porsche most times.

So if that's not name dropping, I don't know what is.

I've only owned 1 V8 amongst the 50 or so cars in my lifetime. It was a 2004 Touareg. Loved it. Guess what. My Macans with V6 twin turbos pulled my trailer way better, were way faster. So V8s sound great, but they not all they are cracked up to be.

Now, I still want a Gen1 Raptor. See, told you I'm finicky.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in this lifetime will a Dodge be desirable over my Raptor. No way, no how. Don't care what engine they put in it. It's still a Dodge.

To the OP, I happen to be an Audi fan. Have yet to own one but always liked them. The interiors are a thing of beauty.

I traded my 17 Raptor for a '18 Panamera 4 because I got tired of it after 10 months. I got tired of the Panamera in a week. Yeah, that's not a typo. I'm a bit ***** to say the least. Hard to please? Yep. Traded that for a '18 911 C4. Traded that after few months for a '18 Platinum.

And then I finally came to my senses and got a '19 Raptor. (Oh, I also got a '19 911T to scratch that itch). I love my Raptor. I actually reach for the key over the Porsche most times.

I've only owned 1 V8 amongst the 50 or so cars in my lifetime. It was a 2004 Touareg. Loved it. Guess what. My Macans with V6 twin turbos pulled my trailer way better, were way faster. So V8s sound great, but they not all they are cracked up to be.

I haven’t gone through as many nice cars that fast, but I am having the same experience with my Raptor. I have a modified M3 that I have absolutely adored, and still do. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it. Sometimes I even giggle when I put my foot down or take a canyon sweeper way too fast. Yet, I keep reaching for the key to the Raptor. I just can’t seem to get enough of it.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Just curious.... why buy a 2019 when you didnt like the 2017?? Also, why not just buy a Gen1 if thats what you want? I have seen some killer deals on lower model Gen1's

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just curious.... why buy a 2019 when you didnt like the 2017?? Also, why not just buy a Gen1 if thats what you want? I have seen some killer deals on lower model Gen1's

Entertain me for a moment in my ramblings. First, I'm an enigma. After 39 years of wonderful marriage, even my wife stopped trying to figure out what drives my spending and purchasing. I'm wild and crazy when it comes to money burning a hole in my pocket.

Now that I got that nonsense out of the way, I'll give you a real answer. My '17 Raptor was my first truck at the ripe old age of 60. I was on my third Porsche Macan at the time, a beautiful jet black metallic Turbo that I picked up in Jackson Mississippi. Traded in my second one for it. I loved that Macan and still miss it.

I immediately noticed the seat cushion was short, too short for my liking. Many Porsches and other sport vehicles, including my wife's regular old Rx350 has extending thigh cushions. I missed that real bad. The seat to me was just not comfortable. Figured I'd get used to it.

Drove that '17 from NY to Utah, off roaded in Moab for 2 weeks.

However, as much as I liked the idea of it, it was my only vehicle at the time and I just got tired of its lumbering nature around corners, etc. When I saw the new interior of the redesigned Panamera I had to have it. Because I once again was too dumb to wait to get the S model, it was underpowered and I couldn't stand it.

(Oh, as to why I didn't get a Gen1, I really knew nothing about them other than they existed and I liked the look and that they had been discontinued. I've also in my purchases only bought a used vehicle once, and that was almost 30 years ago. It was a Toyota Previa van when the kids were small, captain's chairs, and it was awesome. Slow as a sloth but loved it.)

Fast forward to 2019 and Ford announced Recaros in the Raptor. I looked around and found one about 100 miles south of me in NJ. Called and spoke to a salesman. I said, plain and simple, if you want my business, go out and measure the seat cushion of a 17 or 18 in comparison to the Recaro. He did, sent me pics of him doing it, and the seat cushion on the Recaro is almost 1" longer in depth. I knew I'd find the comfort the 17 lacked. I drove down there in my Platinum and drove home 4 hours later in my 19.

I think because I have the 911 to fall back on for spirited driving (I do track it: thus far on both tracks in NJMSP, at Watkins Glen few months back, at Lime Rock Racetrack in Ct., and a final event on October 18-19 at a track in NH.) I don't mind the lumbering nature of a truck any longer. In fact, having just gotten back from yet another epic trip, this time in the 19 Raptor to Moab and Raptor Assault, I just love it.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it strange and entertaining to switch back and forth between the Raptor and the M3. Just when I have myself convinced that the Raptor is pretty quick, and handles pretty well, I get in the M3 and am brought back to reality. Chainsaw versus scalpel.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fast forward to 2019 and Ford announced Recaros in the Raptor. I looked around and found one about 100 miles south of me in NJ. Called and spoke to a salesman. I said, plain and simple, if you want my business, go out and measure the seat cushion of a 17 or 18 in comparison to the Recaro. He did, sent me pics of him doing it, and the seat cushion on the Recaro is almost 1" longer in depth.

Why didnt you say so??? Now I understand. The 2019 is about 0.9" longer in the seat so now it is all you were lacking in the 2017! Makes perfect sense now.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why didnt you say so??? Now I understand. The 2019 is about 0.9" longer in the seat so now it is all you were lacking in the 2017! Makes perfect sense now.
I was also enamored with the live valve suspension. I always like the latest and greatest. I may be one of few, but I find the ride better, especially how it controls the rear from skipping sideways. Much less so.