My observations on hunting for 37

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
So my '22 (35) never got built, so put in '23 order and seeing no movement at all. So went on the hunt over the past 3-4 weeks for a '23 w/37 that's in bound or on ground.

- Most dealers are asking between $10-$15K over (some true exceptional ones are asking $20-25K+ over -- hey Grapevine and Maxwell, etc).
- The new norm in the past 3 weeks has dropped closer to $10K with a little work
- Several that would deal closer to $5K (but were 1500 miles away, had another $2k-4K in add on's on top, etc)...so right back to $10k
- Found one loaded up (that ended up 50 miles from my house) that we ended up at $2300 over MSRP and while it pains me, unless you order or find a one off at MSRP, that was the best deal I could find and I'm happy.
* $2K over MSRP, $299 for etching and 'paint protection'...$2300 all in.
- ETA is next week.
- Net/net deals can be had.

Trade:
- Trade prices on Gen2 have crashed from 6 months ago
- Had three dealers bid all three came within $2K - $59K-$61K (before negotiations)
- 20 Model, 25K miles, Black, loaded, mint.
- If you look on sale sights dealers are asking about $65-66K for them...so all in line. No not interested in selling to third party due to taxes benefits.

As everyone already knows, Autotrader (within 500 mile search) I found in my area 70-80% were sold and rest were pure stealerships.

Posting my buying observations to share...will share pics of her once picked up. Looking forward to 5th Raptor.

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 1.45.06 PM.png

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
great post. I still poke around just looking at the market etc and the Gen2 values have started to crash. ALL the private party gen2 for sale have been for sale for months... price cuts by the thousands and still no movement. Gen2 on lots are staying on the lots much longer too.

sfreedom97

Reaction score
So my '22 (35) never got built, so put in '23 order and seeing no movement at all. So went on the hunt over the past 3-4 weeks for a '23 w/37 that's in bound or on ground.

- Most dealers are asking between $10-$15K over (some true exceptional ones are asking $20-25K+ over -- hey Grapevine and Maxwell, etc).
- The new norm in the past 3 weeks has dropped closer to $10K with a little work
- Several that would deal closer to $5K (but were 1500 miles away, had another $2k-4K in add on's on top, etc)...so right back to $10k
- Found one loaded up (that ended up 50 miles from my house) that we ended up at $2300 over MSRP and while it pains me, unless you order or find a one off at MSRP, that was the best deal I could find and I'm happy.
* $2K over MSRP, $299 for etching and 'paint protection'...$2300 all in.
- ETA is next week.
- Net/net deals can be had.

Trade:
- Trade prices on Gen2 have crashed from 6 months ago
- Had three dealers bid all three came within $2K - $59K-$61K (before negotiations)
- 20 Model, 25K miles, Black, loaded, mint.
- If you look on sale sights dealers are asking about $65-66K for them...so all in line. No not interested in selling to third party due to taxes benefits.

As everyone already knows, Autotrader (within 500 mile search) I found in my area 70-80% were sold and rest were pure stealerships.

Posting my buying observations to share...will share pics of her once picked up. Looking forward to 5th Raptor.

View attachment 388475
Here's a question for you: When you say you "hunted" for trucks that are on the ground, what was your methodology in learning what was available? Did you literally just take a map and start to expand your radius with just cold calling dealers to see what their "best offer" was? Curious for someone who's also waiting on a truck that's been built for months. Thanks!!

OP
OP
GTTXRAP

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Here's a question for you: When you say you "hunted" for trucks that are on the ground, what was your methodology in learning what was available? Did you literally just take a map and start to expand your radius with just cold calling dealers to see what their "best offer" was? Curious for someone who's also waiting on a truck that's been built for months. Thanks!!
Fair question. I used Autotrader and typed in 500 mile radius--ran through those--then would daily rerun the search with 'Newest Listed'. Some you could rid of off bat--some days squat. I would also troll dealer sites that I knew in area -- often finding listings, but again many already sold --but not all. Often listing on Autotrader while not fruitful first time around something would pop up and tried again

Was it a pain in the as$ and took a lot of time...yes. During Dec and first few weeks here in Jan I had free time and honed my looking skills.

Always looked up Sales Manager on website and tried to deal directly with -- never floor guys. Again, ran into plenty of a-holes but also some that you could tell might break after a few NICE interactions.

Last tip I searched 'local' in my state. If you search out of state be prepared for those $20K...had many dealers just flat out tell me they won't budge under $20k for out of state buyers--good on them.

Hope that helps.

laserdance

Reaction score
Could you share your strategy for getting to the 2.3k ADM? Like were they asking 10 over and you kept offering MSRP and then after a couple of days went up?
I saw a similar one, black at Killeen Ford and they were asking 10 over, they told me it sold for 8.5k over.

sfreedom97

Reaction score
Fair question. I used Autotrader and typed in 500 mile radius--ran through those--then would daily rerun the search with 'Newest Listed'. Some you could rid of off bat--some days squat. I would also troll dealer sites that I knew in area -- often finding listings, but again many already sold --but not all. Often listing on Autotrader while not fruitful first time around something would pop up and tried again

Was it a pain in the as$ and took a lot of time...yes. During Dec and first few weeks here in Jan I had free time and honed my looking skills.

Always looked up Sales Manager on website and tried to deal directly with -- never floor guys. Again, ran into plenty of a-holes but also some that you could tell might break after a few NICE interactions.

Last tip I searched 'local' in my state. If you search out of state be prepared for those $20K...had many dealers just flat out tell me they won't budge under $20k for out of state buyers--good on them.

Hope that helps.
This is awesome. Appreciate your knowledge and congrats again on finding a fantastic deal on a loaded truck. Enjoy!

OP
OP
GTTXRAP

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Could you share your strategy for getting to the 2.3k ADM? Like were they asking 10 over and you kept offering MSRP and then after a couple of days went up?
I saw a similar one, black at Killeen Ford and they were asking 10 over, they told me it sold for 8.5k over.
If it was one I really wanted and had a good first interaction with mgr, neogtiate and if they came to say $7500 after some wrangling, I told them to keep me in mind and appreciate help. Then I would see another listing a few weeks later same dealership and ping them again, sell a story why me and go from there. Yes I negotiate for a living and I love it -- so that helps, but that thick skin as we all know is what's needed. Killeen also had as I recall $2-3K in misc adds...so again 8.5k + 3K adds= BS.

Lastly, I was flexible on color (albeit all of my prior Raptors were Black)...I said if I can get in the $2-3K range with my top 3 colors I'd take it. Any color outside of those, even if $3K over, I wasn't buying.

#patience

Last edited:

ELmx479

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like same spec I just found plus bed liner.

I lucked out on trading my 19.
$67,000 trade in
MSRP $78,000 price protected 22

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like I’m relatively close to you and had much of the same experience with the dealers around here. It was pure luck that someone on FB posted their lost order came into a dealer about 1.5hr from me which was David McDavid. The salesman was a straight up guy but the rest of the people there were straight up jackholes. Such a terrible experience when relating it to luxury dealers.

EDIT: looks like you got it. Congrats!