my new 2011 raptor with pro charger supercharger! Dang.... blown engine 5000 km after I bought it!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you read my whole post?
I did my research 9 years ago, including talking Livernois.
I wanted the Raptor R heads and cams.
And I'm not about to go over a million posts.

I did read your whole post, and you said you didn't have a link.
First couple times i talked to livernois they said they were different...but the guys i talked to didn't know exactly what. But when i talked to the head tech he said heads are the same.
The only thing i have found is that the early raptors (10&11) had a "RFAL3E" code stamp after that, that code went away. Maybe the "R" heads are better?? Idk.
I'm thinking the RFAL3E head is like the old
DOVE head which is/was super desirable where as the D3VE is the same thing but doesn't fetch the price (maybe thats not a great example but you get the point)
However, today, if you order a bare head (no valves or cam) the part numbers are identical for the raptor and the super duty. Same goes for the valves, pistons, etc...
The complete head has a different part number due to it comes with a cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did read your whole post, and you said you didn't have a link.
First couple times i talked to livernois they said they were different...but the guys i talked to didn't know exactly what. But when i talked to the head tech he said heads are the same.
The only thing i have found is that the early raptors (10&11) had a "RFAL3E" code stamp after that, that code went away. Maybe the "R" heads are better?? Idk.
I'm thinking the RFAL3E head is like the old
DOVE head which is/was super desirable where as the D3VE is the same thing but doesn't fetch the price (maybe thats not a great example but you get the point)
However, today, if you order a bare head (no valves or cam) the part numbers are identical for the raptor and the super duty. Same goes for the valves, pistons, etc...
The complete head has a different part number due to it comes with a cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish I could remember all the back and forth conversations I had with the whole differences between the 6.2L's.
You have the Raptor R (which you know was a one off engine build), the Raptor HO, then HD 6.2L and SD 6.2L.
Each one having a different cam profile.
The short blocks are all the same except the Raptor R, the block was modified and pistons. Exactly what was done is still a mystery.

Then there's the whole Flex fuel stuff and to be honest I still don't know if they even make a flex fuel 6.2L
I never investigated it. Didn't really care.
Different composition of the valves could be what I'm thinking about, again I honestly can't remember, I'm certainly not perfect.
If I have the time and can find something I'll post it.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
how blown up is it? Heads still good? R&I a long lock is normally 8-10 hours, maybe a couple extra for the front dress. 14k is a lot for a stock long block not matter what install hours you add in.

If the engine seized and they cannot turn it,
there going to have air chisel the pistons out, in order to turn the crank to unbolt the flywheel from the torque converter.
There is not enough room to pull the engine and tranny in one piece.
And you would still have separate the engine from the tranny.
If they can turn it you probably can take 8 hrs. off the 35.
There's a whole lot of stuff that needs to be swap over to refurbish long block,
this is time consuming.

8 to 10 hrs. is unrealistic for todays engines in a space that is very tight.

Last edited:

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the engine seized and they cannot turn it,
there going to have air chisel the pistons out, in order to turn the crank to unbolt the flywheel from the torque converter.
There is not enough room to pull the engine and tranny in one piece.
And you would still have separate the engine from the tranny.
If they can turn it you probably can take 8 hrs. off the 35.
There's a whole lot of stuff that needs to be swap over to refurbish long block,
this is time consuming.

8 to 10 hrs. is unrealistic for todays engines in a space that is very tight.

My first line....”how blown up is it?”

Not my first rodeo, I have r&i’d plenty of late model engines, I can look it up on alldata for an hour figure, I’m sure 35 hours is inflated, once again, I have had modded cars, s/c cars and all that fun stuff, I am aware of what all the extra’s are. Your making it sound like it has a dry sump on it, it’s not really rocket science, hence the first line I asked.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My first line....”how blown up is it?”

Not my first rodeo, I have r&i’d plenty of late model engines, I can look it up on alldata for an hour figure, I’m sure 35 hours is inflated, once again, I have had modded cars, s/c cars and all that fun stuff, I am aware of what all the extra’s are. Your making it sound like it has a dry sump on it, it’s not really rocket science, hence the first line I asked.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did say "IF" and "about 35 hrs." again it's all about what there going to run into.
And his $14,000 is a worst case scenario estimate I'm sure.

There have been a few Raptor owners needing a engine swap, price ranges from $10K to $14K

Last edited: