My journey to Raptor R ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys looked at the Shelby F150's. I had a 2018 with the 755 hp Coyote V8 and it was a great running/looking/sounding truck. It certainly drew a lot of attention on the road. People were constantly taking pics at traffic lights and gas stations. It was like being a celebrity, only the truck was the object of attention, not me. The Whipple supercharger was impressive on that 5.0, and the exhaust howl always made me smile. The price of the Shelby's isn't much different than the "R" models. Ford builds 1000 Shelbys each year. Of that, only 500 are Supercharged models which makes them a fairly limited production truck.
Loved that truck...

On Edit: I forgot to mention that I averaged 14 mpg hand calculated. The lie-o-meter always showed ~15, but it I thought 14 was respectable fuel economy for a heavy truck and 0-60 in ~3.5 seconds.
And,,, it for those who might ask,,, it supposedly beats the TRX

Attachments

• Shelby 4.jpg
    Shelby 4.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Shelby 11.jpg
    Shelby 11.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, my understanding is that a dealership has to have technician training to support the Shelby. Not all dealers have invested into that training. I just was looking at a dealership in Sterling Va. (Koon's Ford) They have 2 new Shelby F150s in black and white and have 775 hp. ($135K) The Shelby's come in both tall and lowered versions, both 4 wheel drive. The lowered version is called the "Super Snake" and have polished aluminum wheels.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have any of you guys looked at the Shelby F150's. I had a 2018 with the 755 hp Coyote V8 and it was a great running/looking/sounding truck. It certainly drew a lot of attention on the road. People were constantly taking pics at traffic lights and gas stations. It was like being a celebrity, only the truck was the object of attention, not me. The Whipple supercharger was impressive on that 5.0, and the exhaust howl always made me smile. The price of the Shelby's isn't much different than the "R" models. Ford builds 1000 Shelbys each year. Of that, only 500 are Supercharged models which makes them a fairly limited production truck.
Loved that truck...

On Edit: I forgot to mention that I averaged 14 mpg hand calculated. The lie-o-meter always showed ~15, but it I thought 14 was respectable fuel economy for a heavy truck and 0-60 in ~3.5 seconds.
And,,, it for those who might ask,,, it supposedly beats the TRX
For clarification, Ford does not build Shelby F-150s; it’s an entirely aftermarket package. These trucks leave the assembly plant as a standard F-150 XLT or Lariat. They’re then shipped to Tuscany Motors in Indiana and upfitted with the Shelby parts. They only have a 3yr/36k powertrain warranty, which is through Shelby/Tuscany.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right Fordtechone and additionally, one thing that most people don't realize about the Shelby F150 is, because it's not a regular production vehicle made "by Ford" it is not listed in the NADA or KBB for blue book values. I bought my Shelby used when it was a year old. When I went to the bank to secure financing, the book value was about $47,000, roughly half of what I paid for it. The bank recognized it as a F150 Lariat according to the VIN. That can be a real problem if a person doesn't have enough cash to put down on the purchase of a used one. The Bank will finance them when they are new at the Ford dealer because the bank takes the window sticker as the trucks value.
Bottom line is, reselling a Shelby F150 can be very troublesome. If/when Ford produces the Raptor R, it will be a regular production vehicle and have a listing for book values. This is part of the reason why I sold my Shelby and reserved the first Raptor R that my local dealership gets in.
Furthermore, I always wondered what would happen if I had wrecked my Shelby and it was a total loss. My insurance company told me that they weren't sure how that would work and told me I worried too much. Something tells me that they would pay me the value of a Lariat. The insurance cost on the Shelby was actually cheaper than the Raptor it replaced.

Last edited: