My Issues Post Cam Phaser Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That was the only way I could get ford involved. Had to create a Twitter account and tag them in it. I just did again so hopefully things get escalated.
It's really bad when you have to post to Twitter to get warranty work done, and this is so obvious, it's not like you're trying to get warranty for a ketchup stain on the carpet.

ffirgriff

Reaction score
So I just took an hour and a half out of my day to sit at the dealer to get it to replicate. It made the noise loud and clear and now the tech is going to get ford to approve him tearing it back open to diagnose. He think it’s one of the new phasers getting stuck and says he’s seen a few brand new ones be defective from Ford. I’m just waiting on them to schedule me a time to pickup a loaner and I’ll drop it back off. Fingers crossed they get it resolved the third time around…

ffirgriff

Reaction score
I got a call today from Ford. They said my dealer tech diagnosed it as a bad timing chain tensioner on the driver side. They will be replacing all timing components on that side of the engine including the solenoids.

On a side note, last week they offered me a prepaid service plan to cover all oil changes, tire rotations, and scheduled maintenance for 36k miles. I told them thanks but no thanks as I’d rather have my powertrain warranty extended. They offered to extend it out an additional 3 years/36k miles which I can’t complain about. I’ll never hit the mileage but extending it to 2025 will be nice if any more issues pop up.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On a side note, last week they offered me a prepaid service plan to cover all oil changes, tire rotations, and scheduled maintenance for 36k miles. I told them thanks but no thanks as I’d rather have my powertrain warranty extended. They offered to extend it out an additional 3 years/36k miles which I can’t complain about. I’ll never hit the mileage but extending it to 2025 will be nice if any more issues pop up.
I just gave this advice to someone else on here but I would have held out for a new Cobb Tuner! :biggrin:

ffirgriff

Reaction score
Finally got the truck back a couple days ago. It ran fine for about 5 miles before it blew the cac pipe off the intercooler. That sure is an interesting sound/feeling. I drove back and had them secure that pipe and double check all other intake fittings. They found a brake booster coupler loose as well so that was secured and the truck runs and sounds great now. Hopefully this is the last time I need to take it in for warranty work.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the truck back a couple days ago. It ran fine for about 5 miles before it blew the cac pipe off the intercooler. That sure is an interesting sound/feeling. I drove back and had them secure that pipe and double check all other intake fittings. They found a brake booster coupler loose as well so that was secured and the truck runs and sounds great now. Hopefully this is the last time I need to take it in for warranty work.
Yeah...It is a big job to pull that front engine apart. I do most/all my own work as I enjoy it and can guarantee quality control (most times :)), but I was not going to attempt the Phaser job...Plus it was covered.

I picked up my truck after the repair, and it ran great...Once it warmed up, I gave it some gas and got a CEL! Went ahead home as it drove OK...Hooked up the OBDII device and it was a Turbo Wastegate related code(P2ABA etc.). Called dealer and they said they would gladly check it/repair it...But I looked up the code and started tinkering, and it was just the Wastegate connector plug on 1 Turbo that was not seated all the way. Pushed it, cleared code, and no issues since then! Happy with the repair.

Glad yours worked out.

DC