My Issues Post Cam Phaser Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Eship

Reaction score
I did a quick inspection of the truck and noticed oil on the back of the passenger cylinder head. I used a mirror to get a good look and I also ran my hand over it. It seems as though I may have a fouled up valve cover gasket just as Solidred did. This would not only explain the oil consumption and the oily undercarriage, but may also be the source of the engine bay hissing sound under load. I didn't get to the point of pulling the skid plates and I may not even do so at this point. Will report back with further developments.

Solidred, did you notice any hissing noise post cam phaser job?

thanks,

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick inspection of the truck and noticed oil on the back of the passenger cylinder head. I used a mirror to get a good look and I also ran my hand over it. It seems as though I may have a fouled up valve cover gasket just as Solidred did. This would not only explain the oil consumption and the oily undercarriage, but may also be the source of the engine bay hissing sound under load. I didn't get to the point of pulling the skid plates and I may not even do so at this point. Will report back with further developments.

Solidred, did you notice any hissing noise post cam phaser job?

thanks,

I didn’t notice a hiss except from the radiator cap and hiss went away after radiator cap was loosened and pressure relieved. I didn’t have the truck running with hood open either and didn’t have the truck very long, drove it right back to the dealer.

OP
OP
E

Eship

Reaction score
A detail that I did not include in my last post worth noting. The valve cover gasket issue would also likely explain the DTC P04DB (along with CEL) that only surfaced post cam phaser warranty repair.

Solidred, copy that. Thanks again for posting/sharing details that pertain to issues I'm observing.

thanks

OP
OP
E

Eship

Reaction score
Small update. Truck went back to the dealer on 5/4. More of the dealers managers have been brought into the fold/have visibility on the truck. They told me if they get stumped during this appointment, the next step is bringing in a "Ford Engineer".
Today, I hear they are replacing the passenger valve cover gasket and one of the PCV hoses. That was all I could get from the service writer. Dropping by the dealer today to see the truck and find out more details about what tests have been done and what parts are being replaced to date. Will report back.

thanks,

OP
OP
E

Eship

Reaction score
Solidred

Forgot to ask if your truck showed DTC PO4DB during the time that you've been having issues? Just trying to draw possible connection between boogered valve cover gasket and that code.

thanks,

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solidred

Forgot to ask if your truck showed DTC PO4DB during the time that you've been having issues? Just trying to draw possible connection between boogered valve cover gasket and that code.

thanks,
No DTCs

OP
OP
E

Eship

Reaction score
Update

I retrieved the truck from the dealer on Tuesday and have logged 200 miles since. The engine bay hissing is fixed thus far. Oil leak is fixed thus far. No DTCs/CELs thus far. Truck performing and driving normally.

Basic summary (with the limited information that I have right now), the dealer performed oil leak diag. on the truck and, as a result, replaced the pass. valve cover gasket. They also replaced all one time use items required for disassembly/reassembly intake manifold. Also, both PCV tubes and PCV sensor replaced.

I have not sat down with them to get an in depth step by step of what was actually done to the truck, but I'm going to. I did speak with them briefly before taking the truck and couldn't get a straight answer as to whether or not a "smoking gun" was identified for the engine bay hissing sound. Could have been the valve cover gasket issue, but I'm not sure there is enough blow by to cause the particular hissing sound. Very well could have been something fouled up in the intake manifold assembly post original cam phaser job or something else regarding intake system. Could have been something fouled up with PCV system. Dealer couldn't tell me.

Will let you know if I gather any other information from dealer when I talk to them early next week on follow up meeting.

Thanks

OP
OP
E

Eship

Reaction score
Also, for those of you that are going to do the cam phaser warranty work, I suggest involving the service director and the GM of the ford dealer of your choice from the very beginning and cordially email document the evolution of the service with those personnel. This warranty work, and many other service procedures, can get sideways quickly and you need to have a documentation trail in place and you need to be communicating with managers/people in higher positions so they have visibility.

Thanks,

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, for those of you that are going to do the cam phaser warranty work, I suggest involving the service director and the GM of the ford dealer of your choice from the very beginning and cordially email document the evolution of the service with those personnel. This warranty work, and many other service procedures, can get sideways quickly and you need to have a documentation trail in place and you need to be communicating with managers/people in higher positions so they have visibility.

Thanks,
Glad it worked out for you, got my truck back last week and it’s working well, bone dry. They also discovered an upper oil pan leak as well, had to drop the trans to get to it. Start up is super quite, I let it sit for a week before starting it.

OP
OP
E

Eship

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you, got my truck back last week and it’s working well, bone dry. They also discovered an upper oil pan leak as well, had to drop the trans to get to it. Start up is super quite, I let it sit for a week before starting it.
Will continue to drive and monitor the truck and see what happens. It is good to get the truck back and see progress rather than the continuation of a downward spiral for a change. I don't want to speak too soon though.