My Issues Post Cam Phaser Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
13k is not THAT long over schedule. Doubt a serious oil issue with one missed change.

Depending on how the truck was driven/used, that can be well more than one missed oil change. The 10,000 interval is the maximum under ideal conditions; in the majority of cases it does not apply. Not only that, but the factory oil/filter will always have increased contaminants due to the engine break in, so by 13,000 miles you're well past borrowed time.

These are high performance turbocharged engines in 6,000lbs trucks...the oil is the lifeblood. Poor quality oil, lack of maintenance, or low oil levels are extremely detrimental to engine longevity.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how the truck was driven/used, that can be well more than one missed oil change. The 10,000 interval is the maximum under ideal conditions; in the majority of cases it does not apply. Not only that, but the factory oil/filter will always have increased contaminants due to the engine break in, so by 13,000 miles you're well past borrowed time.

These are high performance turbocharged engines in 6,000lbs trucks...the oil is the lifeblood. Poor quality oil, lack of maintenance, or low oil levels are extremely detrimental to engine longevity.

Mr. FordTechOne. What is your opinion on the Motorcraft synthetic blend oil that the dealers use for regular scheduled maintenance?

Thank you

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score

bah.....stop thinking it is 1980 oil tech. even then...3,000 miles was overkill. 10k on synthetic blend is easy......full synthetic is even better.

while not ideal for your 1st oil change to come at 15k, it will not destroy an engine. And stop thinking turbo motors are some fragile piece of racing tech us plebs are just not being allowed to use.

I have been doing 10k oil changes on turbo motors for over 20 years now, and German manufacturers push the limits in design and heat way more then ford.

stop fear mongering about oil.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
bah.....stop thinking it is 1980 oil tech. even then...3,000 miles was overkill. 10k on synthetic blend is easy......full synthetic is even better.

while not ideal for your 1st oil change to come at 15k, it will not destroy an engine. And stop thinking turbo motors are some fragile piece of racing tech us plebs are just not being allowed to use.

I have been doing 10k oil changes on turbo motors for over 20 years now, and German manufacturers push the limits in design and heat way more then ford.

stop fear mongering about oil.

No fear mongering, just reality. The quality of the oil is not the only limiting factor in oil change intervals. The best quality oil in the world cannot counteract the moisture and combustion byproducts that build up in the crankcase over time, especially during short trips in cold weather.

Just because an engine doesn’t catastrophically fail after being driven 13k on the original oil and filter does not mean damage has not been done. The damage will typically manifest itself in the top end of the engine, within the cam journals. Scoring begins to occur, which reduces oil flow to the cam phasers. The scoring can be minimal, which then gets progressively worse later in the engines life as the wear continues. In OP’s case, the vehicle may have been used in high performance driving, or used to tow or haul. Over those 13k miles, the oil level may have become low on more than one occasion (which he verified) and may have degraded to the point where it was not providing sufficient lubrication. In that case, scoring may be significant.

I understand you haven’t had issues tuning extended oil change intervals on turbo German cars, but those are not 6,000lb trucks running 35” tires while towing up to 8000lbs. The duty cycle is quite different.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing my oil change every 5,000 miles or now yearly because I only have a 6.5 mile round trip to get to work.

Anyways, if I remember correctly I believe you own a 2019 like myself.

How or can you set up so that my vehicle will read 0% oil life at any given oil setting? In my case 5,000 miles.

The reason I ask is because on my 2014 F150 I could set it in the settings or maybe I did it online, don't remember. I've looked around online and in my settings and haven't found where I can change this interval?

Many thanks for all your contributions and the time and information you bestow upon us, it's very much appreciated.

Same. I just do oil change, tire rotation, balance, and alignment every 5,000 now regardless of what the oil life meter says.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I understand you haven’t had issues tuning extended oil change intervals on turbo German cars, but those are not 6,000lb trucks running 35” tires while towing up to 8000lbs. The duty cycle is quite different.

My belief is the duty cycle is MORE taxing in a German car. Who ever designed the "hot v" is both crazy and a genius. 2 turbos in the V between the pistons where the carb used to sit. talk about your heat soak.

OP
OP
E

Eship

Reaction score
My truck recently went in for oil pan leak and cam phaser, got it back and it was pouring oil out the bottom (okay exaggeration but a steady drip, enough to muck up my under carriage). Ended up being a pinched valve cover from the cam phaser fix. That was fixed but there is another leak, dealer put dye into the oil to verify it wasn’t residual, truck is still being worked on so not sure where this “new” leak is yet.

Im guessing if your front timing cover isn’t leaking it’s possible a valve cover.

I appreciate the input, Solidred. This is useful information that very well maybe applicable to my situation. Sorry to hear about your oil leak issue.

FYI - I've postponed my service appointment that I had scheduled for tomorrow. I'm going to pull the skid plates and do an inspection/spray down with brake clean, then monitor oil level and possible leaks. I just have zero faith in this dealer and want to check a few things myself before giving them the opportunity to muddy the water even further. Will report back with info.

Thanks,

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the input, Solidred. This is useful information that very well maybe applicable to my situation. Sorry to hear about your oil leak issue.

FYI - I've postponed my service appointment that I had scheduled for tomorrow. I'm going to pull the skid plates and do an inspection/spray down with brake clean, then monitor oil level and possible leaks. I just have zero faith in this dealer and want to check a few things myself before giving them the opportunity to muddy the water even further. Will report back with info.

Thanks,

It’s amazing what you can see without the skid plates…they will hold a lot of oil. I kept mine off when I took it to the dealer, using impacts on the bolts mares them up pretty bad. Seems most of the leak dripped to the lowest point, transmission bell housing

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mr. FordTechOne. What is your opinion on the Motorcraft synthetic blend oil that the dealers use for regular scheduled maintenance?

Thank you

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is good oil, I've never seen any issues when proper oil change intervals were followed. I run Motorcraft Full Synthetic myself due to the extra engine protection offered.