Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

My impressions about the pulley sizes

Discussion in 'Whipple Superchargers' started by MTF, Oct 25, 2012.

1. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Being slightly older than you I do not do anything under a car anymore!!! LOL
    My $6000 worth of tools are nice and shinny now. LOL
    Even with some being far far older than you.
    Holy shit I sound like my father. LOL
    I catch myself saying that more often now, wow!

Now don't take that the wrong way, I'm having fun!

The reason my avatar picture shows my Raptor hanging is because
    I had to measure the U-bolts for the bump stop plate the RPG made for me,
    that's about 7 feet at the bumper, me being 6'1" didn't even have to bend my head to go to the rear.

Getting off topic here but I think your mistaking (well it depends on who is explaining it), we are both right.
    The cat-back muffler has extra chambers/fins/cutouts what ever you want to call them, in it to stop back flow of exhaust and allows the exhaust exit faster.
    When people talk about a cat-back system this means it has the cat-back muffler, as far as I know. Hey I've been wrong before.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. Cleave

Cleave FRF Addict

Lol, I don't want to start an arguement, but the aftermarket world likes to throw around the term "catback" like it's something high performance, but it literally means anything from the catalytic converters back to the end of the exhaust pipe where exhaust gas leaves the exhaust system, and that's awesome that you picked your truck up like that to check u-bolts

3. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Yeah, the term is a bit construed.

Cleave likes this.
  4. metronyc

metronyc Full Access Member

I like the idea of 3.625 pulley , i have long tube ARH headers and Magnaflow exhaust , i dont like too much noise in the cabin and i like smooth ride .

5. Cleave

Cleave FRF Addict

on whipple's site, they say they have pulleys for this system down to 2.75", have you just not tried any of the smaller ones out?

6. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

To MetroNYC, I don't know for sure if you can run the 3.625 (3 5/8") with headers.
    You would have to ask Whipple or I could find out for you.

To Cleave:
    Going smaller than the 3.375 (3 3/8") on a stock engine is not recommended as far as I know.
    There might be issues with too much boost and I believe the fuel delivery system would need to be upgraded.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    Cleave likes this.
  7. Cleave

Cleave FRF Addict

thanks for tolerating my nearly constant questions MTF

8. Fastcote

Fastcote Full Access Member

I already have the long tube headers. I don't find myself needing the handful of extra HP but i DO SO MUCH like the Whipple whine. Are there any bad behavior tradeoffs (rough/idle, surging, etc.) in going lower pulley? Also, not sure i want to drop another $600 bucks for a new dyno tune and $700 for a thumper tensioner.

9. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Ask away no problem, I'll answer as best I can if I'm not sure I will direct you to Whipple.

We're talking big freaking bucks to drop down after spending 50 to 55 grand just getting the truck.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

I haven't had the chance to confirm with Whipple about going back up to the 3.675 pulley when you're running LT headers.

Fastcote I forget are running the Whipple Tune or a custom Tune from a shop?

And the Thumper is under $400 with shipping and not a must have item for swapping pulley sizes.

10. Fastcote

Fastcote Full Access Member

I am running a custom Dyno Tune and a 3.5" pulley. It is real well behaved and super strong all the way through the RPM band. I'm hesitant to mess with it as it feel close to perfection now.