My Ham Radio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure. Keith from @lvjmotorsports builds the plug & play wire harness, he might have.

Well, by design I can’t imagine the ground plane is worth much, it I don’t want to dump a lot of $$$ on something useless either. And I’m not using this for amateur radio, I need it for a commercial radio application, so...... it has to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Well, by design I can’t imagine the ground plane is worth much, it I don’t want to dump a lot of $$$ on something useless either. And I’m not using this for amateur radio, I need it for a commercial radio application, so...... it has to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It works. It requires a no ground plane antenna so theoretically not as good as drilling the roof. Anecdotally, I have no practical noticeable difference in range on my TK-790H versus when the antenna was mounted on my drilled roof Gen1. Hundreds of people are running these now, including FP Raptor Assault school. I'm sure it would be fine for your application.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It works. It requires a no ground plane antenna so theoretically not as good as drilling the roof. Anecdotally, I have no practical noticeable difference in range on my TK-790H versus when the antenna was mounted on my drilled roof Gen1. Hundreds of people are running these now, including FP Raptor Assault school. I'm sure it would be fine for your application.

Well, since I'm not one of the hundreds using these on Ham with an external tuner or a low power radio not used for emergency services, I'll have to pass. FWIW, this is/was going to be used on a 700/800Mhz trunked system, no ground plane antenna's are junk, they may work for a car to car application, and you don't care if you burn up a PA, it's a little more mission critical for my application. Thanks for the info

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
OK, I thought you were just talking about a commercial application on VHF band. I would stick with approved/proven solutions if I was in your shoes too.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is your mike under your front seat? How's that work for you?
I have it connected to the radio body for now, it can also be connected to the face plate in the sunglass holder. I think connecting to the face plate will be a better option.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GJ motorsports set-up is top notch both as a rear facing amber/brake light and as an antenna mount. The reception/frequency distance is awesome. It's also rock solid, mine has taken plenty of tree limp strikes to the face and no issues. LVJ's included wiring harness makes the job painless and clean. GJ Motorsports light is currently a contender in this years Sema Best New Product contest.