My Ham Radio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need to start looking into a radio for the truck. You guys left off on the suggesting part. LOL.
I'm still a beginner and still need to get license. Liked Yaseu when I used to listen back in the days..
what radio you guys prefer?
There are oh so many answers to these questions, and all of them, or none of them, may be right, depending on your needs and wants. Suggesting radios calls for more input. If anyone says “Yaesu is best” (or Kenwood, or Alinco, or Icom, etc, etc) without more input on “best for what” then they are just being a fanboi. All of the major brands make good radios, some may fit specific applications better than others.

So before a radio can be suggested, more information is needed.

-What bands are you interested in running?
-What features are on your “must have” list? For example, do you want dual band monitor, cross band repeat, weak signal modes, etc.
-Is a remote head a requirement, or is a fixed head acceptable?
-What power level do you want?
-Does your radio have to be MARS/CAP modifiable? And no, I do not want to get into a discussion on the legality of using such a radio on various frequencies, that is a different subject.
-And a dozen other questions.

What do you want to use the radio for? And just saying “to talk to other people” is useless, answer this with real information. Repeater operation, local simplex operation, talking with people in your off-road group on a trail, etc. The more complete you can answer this the better the suggestions can be.

for the remote head in sunglass holder, how'd you run the comm cable? through the A frame down through door sill? And how did you run antenna ?

In my case I currently (I have had other installations in the truck at other times) have two radios in my Raptor, I have a Kenwood TS-480SAT for HF and 6 meters, and I have a Yaesu FT8900R for 10/6/2/70cm. Both of these radios have remote heads. The remote head for the 480 is on the dashboard in Builtright dash mount, the remote head for 8900R is in the overhead, in the sunglasses holder.

The main bodies of both of these radios are under the rear seat. The following picture shows the general idea, but is actually a previous install in this truck, I have cleaned it up a bit since then, but no new pictures online.
Truck_radios_07.jpg

These two radios require different kinds of comm lines run.

In the case of the 480 the remote head and the microphone are two separate lines from the radio. I run both of these lines on the drivers side from the radio, under the carpet and door sill / kick plate, to under the dashboard and into the center stack. The control head wire goes up the center stack behind the entertainment system, up to the top of the dash and under the Built Right mount.
Truck_radios_11.jpg

The microphone for the 480 runs the same path, but after it enters the center stack it comes back to the center console, and is stored inside the center console. This shows both mics in the console, left mic is for the 480, right mic is for the 8900R. This also shows a Uniden BCD536HP scanner that is installed, but I have not discussed yet.
Truck_radios_09.jpg

The FT8900R uses a single control line out of the radio, to the control head, and then the microphone plugs into the control head. So, from the radio under the back seat a single control line goes under the carpet, forward under the passenger side door sill / kick plates, up the passenger A pillar (behind the airbag there so as not to interfere), over the headliner to the overhead console, into the sunglasses holder. The control cable plugs into the 8900R remote head there. The microphone cable plugs into the 8900R remote head in the sunglasses holder, over the headliner to the A pillar, down the A pillar, across the back of the dash to the center stack, and back along to the center console.

This is what the center overhead looks like, however this is a different radio in this picture, a Yaesu FT7900R.
Truck_radios_12.jpg

Running the antennas for this setup was pretty easy, remember the radios are under the rear seat. Behind the rear seats, on both sides, on the vertical cab wall (facing the front of the bed) and behind the carpet, are pressure release vents. These are there so you don’t pop your ears when you slam the doors while setting inside. If you are careful and select the right coax/connector combos you can run the coax out these vents with no modifications required. Don’t damage the vent seals and use external rain loops and you should not have water intrusion issues.

My antennas are mounted in the bed and on a light bar. I chose this so that I could use the power up/down feature of the light bar to lay down the antennas, for example to enter parking garages or drive through. One of the Aux switches drive the antennas down, another drives them back up.

Antennas up:
Truck_radios_01.jpg

Antennas down:
Truck_radios_03.jpg

The big antenna on the back is an HF antenna, and is not on a lay-down, but the whip is on quick disconnect, it takes less than 10 seconds to step out, unhook the antenna, lay it in the bed, and get back in the truck.

The HF antenna mount is another Built Right product holding the factory Tarheel 75A mount.
Truck_radios_04.jpg

T!

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 126581
I’m getting a radio from @lvjmotorsports, he has them all preprogrammed and ready to go. I spent some coin on the gj 3rd brake light with antenna mount.
Holy crapsicle! is that over 800? includes what? lights and antenna ? does look like a nice setup tho..
was the wiring complicated? looks like quite a few options for setting up the lighting..?

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Holy crapsicle! is that over 800? includes what? lights and antenna ? does look like a nice setup tho..
was the wiring complicated? looks like quite a few options for setting up the lighting..?
Included lights and plug and play harness

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What bands are you interested in running?
-What features are on your “must have” list? For example, do you want dual band monitor, cross band repeat, weak signal modes, etc.
-Is a remote head a requirement, or is a fixed head acceptable?
-What power level do you want?
-Does your radio have to be MARS/CAP modifiable? And no, I do not want to get into a discussion on the legality of using such a radio on various frequencies, that is a different subject.
-And a dozen other questions.

What do you want to use the radio for? And just saying “to talk to other people” is useless, answer this with real information. Repeater operation, local simplex operation, talking with people in your off-road group on a trail, etc. The more complete you can answer this the better the suggestions can be.

Wow, thank you for this. I know I have some work ahead of me to figure out everything. I am relatively new to HAM altogether as far as actual practical use and have an old...really old handheld (lets see how many people get aged here LOL ) Realistic HTX-202 to mess around with and for back up.
This would be the first time I would venture into installing a dedicated mobile VHF and not just CBand for my jeep.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Included lights and plug and play harness
was with antenna also then..?
does it matter where you order from? looks like not too many choices for this specific setup..

thought I saw someone mention Dirt Kartel.. anyone using this one?

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just switched to some 0 ohm wires, and now I have a tick in my radio while transmitting and receiving. The lower the frequency I’m on, the worse it gets. Simpler and repeater use are useless now. Guessing I need to go plug wire, by plug wire, to see what isn’t seated fully. I know the wires are actually connected to the plugs at this point, all I can think of is a boot not being seated fully. Thoughts everyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
was with antenna also then..?
does it matter where you order from? looks like not too many choices for this specific setup..

thought I saw someone mention Dirt Kartel.. anyone using this one?
It does not include the antenna, it does include the cable that connects to the radio. I got mine from 4x4truckleds, they are a vendor here and great to work with.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does not include the antenna, it does include the cable that connects to the radio. I got mine from 4x4truckleds, they are a vendor here and great to work with.

Has anyone measured the reflected power on one of these mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk