My Ham Radio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man...not many places to mount a radio...I just mounted mine today inside the center console...

Yes, if you have a one piece box, no remote head, the locations to mount get limited. But with a control head radio (separate small control head from the rest of the radio) it gets easier.

I originally had a radio mounted similar to RaptorGuyNC. The control head of the VHF/UHF (2 meter / 70 cm) radio was in the sunglasses holder and, in my case, the radio body was under the back seat. The control head of the HF radio (160 meters to 6 meters) was on the dash and the radio body under the back seat.

I ended up changing that though, now I have a single radio, a Kenwood TS-2000x, doing it all, 160 meters to 70 cm, all mode. The RC-2000 control head will fit in the sunglasses holder, and I tried it there. That makes for a nice, clean, install. However, I ended up not liking it there and moved it to the dashboard, on a BuiltRight mount. I just fined it more usable there, however it is for sure a lot more noticeable also.

If I had a single radio and single antenna it would probably be installed with the head in the overhead. However since I can't hide the 4 antennas on the outside of the vehicle, including a Tarheel 75A screwdriver for HF, I just went with the dash mounted control head.

T!

Cdcorn1

Reaction score
Very clean install. I went the easy route and had it installed in the center console. I do have an external speaker that helps a lot with the sound. We usually stay on one channel, so I just turn on the radio and close the lid. The Bulletproof Diesel mount is the way to go. I have that as well, very clean.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need to start looking into a radio for the truck. You guys left off on the suggesting part. LOL.
I'm still a beginner and still need to get license. Liked Yaseu when I used to listen back in the days..
what radio you guys prefer? for the remote head in sunglass holder, how'd you run the comm cable? through the A frame down through door sill? And how did you run antenna ?

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
D13F3814-6677-40A2-AF7C-275C1FDCA74D.jpeg
i need to start looking into a radio for the truck. You guys left off on the suggesting part. LOL.
I'm still a beginner and still need to get license. Liked Yaseu when I used to listen back in the days..
what radio you guys prefer? for the remote head in sunglass holder, how'd you run the comm cable? through the A frame down through door sill? And how did you run antenna ?
I’m getting a radio from @lvjmotorsports, he has them all preprogrammed and ready to go. I spent some coin on the gj 3rd brake light with antenna mount.