My Ham Radio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorGuyNC

Reaction score
I was going to do the center console or the cubby area below the AC controls, but I didn't like the idea of having the center console lid up to see the radio and the gear shift sort of blocks the view from the cubby under the AC.

I ended up taking the sunglasses holder out, cut off the bottom two cupped areas and installing the radio faceplate in there, with the radio under the passenger seat.
sPLtdpH.jpg

The NMO antenna mount I used is from Bullet Proof Diesel.
zjFghAt.jpg

DrifterGTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between a Ham radio? Do you have to have a radio operator license?
Short answer is yes, for HAM you get access to additional frequencies and higher power equipment and requires a license to do so . It's not expensive or overly difficult to get your technician license. There is also a General and amateur extra license if you want to expand even further.
CB by comparison is a lower frequency and is available to the public, but is limited to much shorter range and lower power

DrifterGTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do the center console or the cubby area below the AC controls, but I didn't like the idea of having the center console lid up to see the radio and the gear shift sort of blocks the view from the cubby under the AC.

I ended up taking the sunglasses holder out, cut off the bottom two cupped areas and installing the radio faceplate in there, with the radio under the passenger seat.
sPLtdpH.jpg

The NMO antenna mount I used is from Bullet Proof Diesel.
zjFghAt.jpg
What antenna are you running ?

OP
OP
RaptorGuyNC

RaptorGuyNC

Reaction score
What's the difference between a Ham radio? Do you have to have a radio operator license?

Yes - In order to transmit on the Amateur Radio (HAM) frequencies, you must have a valid license (You can purchase a radio and listen while you study for your exam(s)).
The tests are extremely easy, all of the possible test questions are online and there is no longer any morse code requirement for any of the 3 levels.