GEN 2 My Front License Plate Bracket Solution...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a thought I was going to try: It's the law here too but it says nothing about being mounted on the exterior of the vehicle - or LE doesn't care as long as it's forward facing so I've seen plenty of people put it up in their windshield on their dash. Instead of there though, I was thinking of using something like shirt-stays to create mounted elastic straps so I could put it on the passenger side sunvisor - flip down to display when necessary. Thoughts anyone?

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello from central NJ. Nice truck you have there.

I have always hated having to mount the front plate on front of some of the vehicles that I have owned. It looked like s**t on my BMW or any car.

Back then in the 70`s on up the LE would give you a ticket for anything and everything, tires sticking out past the fender wells, aftermarket lights had to be hooked up to the headlight relay so they would turn off when you used your high beams. If you were lucky enough to own a lifted truck/Jeep there were bumper and headlight height laws and if you really lifted your truck you had to make a appointment to go to one of the two special inspection stations that had a stability test track.

It was worse than a State Police CDL weight station inspection of your tractor trailer

Way back when I built a Baja bug to run down Forked river I had made a hinged licence plate holder that tas mounted to the skid plate. Two tab`s mounted to the skid plate and two tabs mounted to the top of the license plate, and a roll pin between the pins to hold the whole thing together.

It hung straight down while driving and when I went to play in the sand I would swing it back to the skid plate and hold it down with a single screw that I drilled and tapped into the skid plate.
I will try to find a picture of it, cell phones and digital cameras were not around in the late 70`s early 80`s

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That`s a nice plate holder! Thats nice that it can be removed and probably mounted so that it will not block any air flow

OldFart I wonder if this will work with it? LOL....

I know you guys will be all over these, I had read that if you buy more than one you can even get a small discount! Maybe we can get a group forum buy going.

https://www.weathertech.com/titanium-license-plate-frame/

OP
OP
2020Raptor

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a thought I was going to try: It's the law here too but it says nothing about being mounted on the exterior of the vehicle - or LE doesn't care as long as it's forward facing so I've seen plenty of people put it up in their windshield on their dash. Instead of there though, I was thinking of using something like shirt-stays to create mounted elastic straps so I could put it on the passenger side sunvisor - flip down to display when necessary. Thoughts anyone?

It is my understanding that the plate must be mounted on the most-forward surface of the vehicle.
It is also supposed to be mounted in the center.
But LE seems to not mind that.
I see plenty of vehicles around with non-factory off-center plates.
Including the gf's Charger.