My experience installing crown performance stainless brake lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go with Crown Performance Stainless Steel Brake Line Kit, here is what I learned from installing full six hose kit on my 2012. Your mileage may vary and you are probably smarter and more mechanically skilled than me.

1. I really like the hoses, extremely well made and nice looking; however, I'm not a fan of the fittings and mounting hardware, they are not true OEM replacement as implied on their website. Lesson learned, study the picture of fittings and hardware and then go look and take picture of stock fittings and hardware to better understand what you are getting.

2. I wish I would have called and asked them if they could obtain stock (OEM) mounting hardware and fittings instead of what they provide. Their website makes it seem like you can only get the fittings and hardware that are in the picture, but there is a blurb I found that indicates they could create lines with custom fittings (assume this means OEM). Lesson learned, haste makes waste, do more better homework before buying.

3. The metal brackets that come pre-installed on the front lines in my kit were both oriented the same, meaning both oriented to fit on the left (driver) side bracket alignment and bolt holes. Which means, to get the right front line to fit, I had to spread the curved part of the mounting bracket apart (pain in the butt) and flip it over and re-attach to the line, so I could install the front passenger side line. The holes for the push pin that holds the vacuum line in place does not align, so you have to use zip tie to secure.

Their bracket orientation (hose now at top versus bottom of bracket) causes the curve of the flexible brake hose coming up from the banjo bolt end, to be positioned higher so it rubs against the inside edge of the wheel (which you don't notice until you put the tire back on). This means a little bending and adjusting of the front brackets to stop the rubbing. Also, if you have wheel weights installed on the back of the wheel, they cut into the brake hose, ask me how I know, haha. Lesson learned, check the brake line clearance between the wheel AND the wheel balance weights (if have).

The picture below has the stock bracket in the picture for comparison, you can see how the Crown fitting is different and has the hose holder on top pushing it towards the wheel, versus stock fitting which has the hose connected at bottom providing good clearance from the wheel. I had to bend and twist the crown fitting so it holds the hose away from the wheel, you can see the gray wheel weights in the back of the picture, that is what cut my line, but now after more bracket adjustments, clears no problem.

Passenger bracket.png

The driver side line has a rub/cut through the first layer, the passenger line has rub/cut through two layers, down to stainless steel layer, most annoying to know I now have two damaged hoses, they won't fail, but just the same.

4. The rear bracket that holds the caliper flexible hose that connects to the metal brake line is totally different, it’s a solid L shaped bracket that holds the hose to hard line connection in place, versus the stock bracket that is heavy steel wire that wraps around the fitting. The rear stock fitting does not fit the new Crown performance fitting, as it’s bigger in diameter and the stock wire bracket is smaller diameter that can’t be wrapped back around the new fitting and reused. No biggie, used the new fitting, I just like reusing stock fittings.

5. The one piece fittings (very nice) where the banjo bolt goes through, does NOT have a fitting guide/alignment metal hook thingy on the end, which to me seems less secure and it’s harder to get a torque reading on the banjo bolt, and it seems to help align and orient the flexible brake hose. The picture below includes stock fitting with metal thingy for comparison.

IMG_0582_LI.jpg

6. The other two rear flexible lines were no problem to install. The crown hoses don't come with molded on auxillary hose holders, so I just took a hack saw and cut along the bottom of the holders to take off the stock hoses and then widened/spread them apart to slip on to the new hoses, pain in the butt part 2. I'm glad I ordered +1 inch over stock, otherwise, much harder to get these stiffer lines in place, in hindsight +2 inch would've been better, especially for the fronts.

7. Got it all put back together and then power flushed with new Motul RBF and bled the system, very happy with overall feel of brake pedal and performance to date, minus all the drama along the way, haha.