My ears are hurting - B&O sound system goes crazy - *safety issue*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stern_94

Reaction score
Has anyone watched their voltage reading on the cluster measurements page? Mine varies quite a bit from day to day. Today I saw 13V and sometimes I see as high as 15v and anywhere in between. I wanna say I've seen 12.5v while driving which is super with alternator charge. I haven't checked the actual battery to see how this compares, but I'm sure it will vary a bit. Having worked on lots of vehicles over the years that variation in voltage seems odd to me.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That noise almost certainly has to be coming thru the speaker ground. Otherwise it would be going thru the stereo system.

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone watched their voltage reading on the cluster measurements page? Mine varies quite a bit from day to day. Today I saw 13V and sometimes I see as high as 15v and anywhere in between. I wanna say I've seen 12.5v while driving which is super with alternator charge. I haven't checked the actual battery to see how this compares, but I'm sure it will vary a bit. Having worked on lots of vehicles over the years that variation in voltage seems odd to me.

This is normal - the battery doesn't need to be (and must not be) constantly charged. There's some battery charging system that should be taking it up somewhere around 14.8V while charging, but when off, it should be 13.1v or so. It can certainly drop down in the 12v range for periods with no problem.

It shouldn't be an issue unless it were to dip below 11v or so or above 15v-ish for a period. It would also be bad if it just stayed in the 14s forever.

nealhoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Gen 3 Raptor this past Tuesday. On Wednesday morning I was parked at a shopping center. When I turned the truck on ... you guessed it ... a loud, explosive boom followed by a pulsing white noise at a higher decibel than any sound I've ever heard! It seriously hurt both my ears, but my son's ears as well. Not to mention the absolute terror it creates. Anyway, nothing would stop the sound. I was surprised the speakers didn't blow, or that the windows didn't shatter. The volume dial didn't work, the power button didn't work, and even turning the truck off and exiting didn't work. It finally shut off when I looked the door (assuming a complete power shutoff at that point).

I restarted the truck five or six more times with the same result. (I did get a video clip of the noise on one attempt.) Only turning off the truck, exiting, and locking the door would stop the stereo each time. Finally, another restart and everything was back to normal. We read some materials online, sensing it may be a bad battery issue. I drove straight to a parts store and replaced my battery. I haven't had another episode in the last two days, but every time I turn the truck on I plug my ears just in case. This is the most insane thing I have ever had happen in a vehicle! Both my ears and my son's ears still hurt. I am they are not permanently damaged.
This just happened to me an hour ago. 22’ with 7600 miles. Pressed the start button and bang! I can’t believe the speakers can even get that loud.

So now I have the rattle suspension, poor panel fitment, crap paint, a loud shudder/vibration on startup, and random explosions out of the speakers.

Ford FTW

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This just happened to me an hour ago. 22’ with 7600 miles. Pressed the start button and bang! I can’t believe the speakers can even get that loud.

So now I have the rattle suspension, poor panel fitment, crap paint, a loud shudder/vibration on startup, and random explosions out of the speakers.

Ford FTW
It’s just getting broke in.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got to experience this for the first time. Insanely loud pop/bang. Thought I ran over a metal trash can or something. Then no audio at all. Can confirm that on my truck this was an Apple CarPlay issue. Radio still worked perfectly normally. Restated the phone and it worked normally again too.

dbonzo

Reaction score
Had this happen to me today. Have around 9,000 miles. Happened a couple months ago and chalked it up didn’t really think much. But dang I’m half deaf now, any solutions or suggestions?

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the truck looked at for this today. SSM 51663. Some stuff got reprogrammed. I guess ford was aware. Interestingly some of the other sounds the truck makes like parking sensors are different now. Not worse. Just different.