My ears are hurting - B&O sound system goes crazy - *safety issue*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
This is Nothing New, it’s been happening since the first Gen 1 rolled off the line in 2010.
If it happens, disconnect the battery cables to do a hard-reboot or whatever it’s called to your Raptor Brain. Well at least that’s what we did in 2010 and it worked ;)
We we’re on our way home from Off-Roading in Payson AZ. I was in my 2010, my friend was in his. About 100 miles from Vegas his Stereo shoots to Max Volume and freezes!! Nothing worked trying to correct it, stopping turned the truck off, restart same problem. The worst part was he was playing this OPREA SHIXT, man was his wife pizzzzed!! :evil27::evil27::happy175::happy175:
When we were finally able to get a cell signal, I was able to reach our service Mngr. He told us to disconnect the battery to do a hard re-boot, some computer stuff I didn’t understand but it worked.
4yrs later, my daughters Focus did the same thing. She turned the car off, opened and closed the door, stereo still blasting at full volume. I had to go disconnect the battery for her and then all was good.
Surprising it’s still happening 12 yrs later.

Stern_94

Reaction score
I unfortunately just experienced this on my drive home tonight in my 22 with 2600 miles. I backed out of a driveway, went into drive, and as I drove off I attempted to turn up the stereo volume which was proceeded with an extremely loud pop/bang followed by random static. Volume was stuck at 1, power button did nothing, and tried cycling through sources as well with no luck. I pulled over and tried a master reset which only stopped the noise until the stereo booted and then the noise was back. I tried turning the truck off multiple times and the noise was still there after turning the ignition on or starting the engine. I figured I could drive it home with the noise since I was only 15 min out but it continued to get louder and started to smell like burnt electronics. Not to mention it was hurting my ears. I ended up pulling into a parking lot, shutting the truck off, and letting it sit. At this point my ears were ringing pretty good so I needed to get out. I let the truck sit for 5 min or so and then I got back in and started it and the radio was back to normal. Made it home with no more noise issue, but worried to drive the truck now. That was about an hour ago and my ears are still ringing.

I was using Wireless Android Auto. May have started the noise as it fully booted up but not sure. Truck was started with Ford pass with run time being exceeded so when I got in the truck I started it with the button. I'm not sure if that sequence of events had anything to do with it or not. I previously owned a 2012 F150 as well as a Gen2 Raptor, which both had audio issues requiring battery disconnects but neither one had this loud static noise issue. I've read quite a few threads about this and it appears there is no resolution. It's very frustrating that there isn't a fix for this as it could cause permanent damage to a person's ears or possibly cause an accident. I will likely fill out the NHTSA form when I get some time.

Last edited:

Bill0927

Reaction score
I just had this same thing happen two days ago I have a 2022 Raptor and live in San Diego and at the time it was raining so I thought it was a wet fuse or something this popping sound was crazy I turned off the engine and it continued for about 10min before stopping. Going in for my 5000 service hope they can give me some answers why this happened and how to rectify it.

Luminarida

Reaction score
I just had this happen as well on my way home from work. I could not get it to stop. Even tried restarting the truck. It was crazy loud. I’m going to try and take it in to the dealer to see what’s going on. I need to get this fixed before it happens with my 3 month old in the truck.

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
File those NHTSA reports folks. Dealers can't do anything, and Ford won't care until they have to.

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After saying that, this happened to me during my drive home today. It was like having someone firing a handgun next to my head. In my case, it randomly also just stopped for no reason, and the entire audio system seemed to have turned off, no audio from anything.

Filed a safety report with NHTSA just now, only takes a couple minutes.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man, my sons an infant. I'll be another level of pissed if this happens to me with him in the truck.
oh dude if it happened with my son in the truck he wouldnt go back in it till it was fixed. Hes already got tubes in his ears.

rfc805

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine popped off while I was turning very slowly onto the on-ramp down town. I definitely flinched, a lot. Had it happened 2 minutes later while merging into traffic, would not have been a great thing.

There's nowhere to pull over down there for quite a distance either, really crappy that they don't even seem to be investigating this.