My Cam Phaser Recall Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the side view mirror motor originally replaced for? I’m not aware of any feature to have the mirrors angle downward in reverse; did you modify the door module calibration with ForScan?
Sideview mirror motor (their diagnosis) was replaced because I reported that sometimes upon startup the mirrors would randomly travel to the limits of their travel and then start "popping" against the mechanical stops. This action was uninitiated by me.

The tilting down in reverse is a function I enabled in Forscan. That function is not the issue in question though. I was using it as an example of how the mirror still acts correctly in some circumstances.

The new issue since the service call is that the mirror loses its angle over 5-8 minutes of driving, and this has only happened since the motor was replaced during the service work. Before the service the mirrors popped randomly, and it was annoying, but the mirrors always went back to their correct position and held their position.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sideview mirror motor (their diagnosis) was replaced because I reported that sometimes upon startup the mirrors would randomly travel to the limits of their travel and then start "popping" against the mechanical stops. This action was uninitiated by me.

The tilting down in reverse is a function I enabled in Forscan. That function is not the issue in question though. I was using it as an example of how the mirror still acts correctly in some circumstances.

The new issue since the service call is that the mirror loses its angle over 5-8 minutes of driving, and this has only happened since the motor was replaced during the service work. Before the service the mirrors popped randomly, and it was annoying, but the mirrors always went back to their correct position and held their position.
They never should have replaced the mirror motor in the first place. SSM 49217 was released 09/2020 and requires a simple reprogram of the DDM and PDM to correct the mirror clicking issue. I updated both on my own truck and corrected the issue.

The problem is that now you're combining an As-Built programming change with a calibration update that does not expect to see the changes that were made, and to complicate it further the dealer did a hardware replacement. The new calibration assumes original As-Built data, so I'm not sure how that will respond. My best advice is to return the As-Built in the DM/PDM to factory and then advise the dealer that SSM 49217 needs to be performed to correct the issue.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They never should have replaced the mirror motor in the first place. SSM 49217 was released 09/2020 and requires a simple reprogram of the DDM and PDM to correct the mirror clicking issue. I updated both on my own truck and corrected the issue.

The problem is that now you're combining an As-Built programming change with a calibration update that does not expect to see the changes that were made, and to complicate it further the dealer did a hardware replacement. The new calibration assumes original As-Built data, so I'm not sure how that will respond. My best advice is to return the As-Built in the DM/PDM to factory and then advise the dealer that SSM 49217 needs to be performed to correct the issue.
I agree that was a bad diagnosis. I even told them "I feel like it's in the software" but that's what they did. At some point I can't tell them how to do their job. Thanks for passing on the info on the mirror reprogram. I'll give it to the service advisor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer fixed the last couple issues. Everything good now.

Interesting note: My truck no longer has the sloppy shift into 4th gear when cold. It has had this since birth, and it even persisted after a shift table reflash several months ago. But the reflash as part of this recall has apparently cured it. I don't understand--I'm just thankful.

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting my cam phaser replaced next week and at the same time I’m due for oil change that I performed my self.

Did they put a new oil when they replaced your cam phaser????

toolmanglenn

Reaction score
Nice, lucky for you, good luck with the repair…. I have an 18 and I took it to one dealer (North Jersey). Did not have the phasers replaced accept the computer update. They will not give me a loner because I bought the truck from an out of state Ford dealer and not them. I didn’t buy it from them because the ADM was $5-$10K.
Got mine for under sticker.
Willing to try another dealer but it’s frustrating and Fords customer service is no help. If anyone can suggest a dealer in North New Jersey I’m willing to go there and see what happens. I need a loner because the Raptor is my only ride…
I use Kayte Ford which is right over the hill from Greenwood Lake. They don’t have loaner vehicles but they are hooked up with a rental car company that will deliver.($)
Service has been great ! Paid MSRP back in Feb 2019. Ordering a new one this week!