My Cam Phaser Recall Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor is a 2019 built in 8/19. Only mods are a JLT catch can and auto start-stop delete. I read about the cam phaser issue before I even bought a Raptor. I always hoped it was limited to an unlucky few, and that I would escape, but alas the cam phasers came for me.

At different points in the history of discussing the phaser issue we've discussed whether more frequent oil changes and/or synthetic oil might help prevent the problem. Welp, I first changed my oil at 2000 miles and put in full synthetic. It's since been changed every 5000 miles like clockwork with full synthetic. Oil life usually read about 40-60% remaining when I had it changed at 5000 miles. So at least for my n=1 example, frequent oil changes with full synthetic did not protect me. The cam phasers still came for me.

We've also wondered whether the auto start-stop might increase the engine's duty cycle and contribute to the problem. Welp, I've had my auto start-stop turned off permanently via the autostop eliminator (harness version) since 1000 miles. The cam phasers still came for me.

I first thought I heard the rattle about 17k miles. But it was gone so fast that I couldn't be sure. By 20k miles I was sure it was the cam phaser rattle, but it was still very fast. Probably lasted less than a second. But it was getting longer in duration every couple thousand miles.

By 23k miles I made an appointment with the dealer. I requested a loaner and they oblidged, but the next available loaner was a month out. OK fine. Truck had 24k miles when it got to the shop. While it was there I went ahead and piled on all the tiny things that I wanted fixed under warranty:
condensation in front marker lights
sunshade squeaking
erratic sideview mirror pops

My truck was ready for me on the 31st day after I dropped it off. I picked it up on the 32nd day. The service rep stayed in touch with me and communicated the delays well. It was a combination of other trucks moving more slowly than they thought, the other problems needing parts ordered, and misc stuff like that. I endured and I was patient. I didn't want them rushing the job, and I told them exactly that: Once my truck is under the knife, don't rush, and let me know if I can bring the tech a cup of coffee (jk...but not really).

Picked it up today and it's good to go. They did the reprogram (21B10) and they also replaced the physical phasers with new parts. The new parts have suffix -CD, which according to what I've read here is indeed the most updated version. Interestingly, in the long list of stuff they replaced, not only do I see
6256 CD: SPROCKET - CAMSHAFT Qty 6
But I also see
6C525 CD: CAM Qty 2
Is that part really the camshaft?

So cold start rattle is gone. Engine performance feels unaffected. They did pull the cab off the frame for my repair. I didn't go see it. So far I cannot find any ill-effects from it, save for one hiccup getting out of the dealer parking lot. I was setting my mirrors, etc, when I shifted from drive towards park and the shifter made a hard stop. It was in neutral. And it would go nowhere. Not forward to R. Not rear to D. Nowhere. Went and got the service rep, who called the tech, and they found a bushing on my shifter cable had pulled out of the housing on the tranny. The tech fixed it in about 5 minutes. He admitted he had no idea why that would have happened during this repair. I'm gonna chock it up to Sh*t Happens and pray that's the only hiccup.

Quick aside: My loaner was a 21 F150 XL. Basic work truck. Only two options were 4WD and 5.0L V8. And that thing would GO! And it sounded good. I admit I miss the sound. But overall I missed the total package of my Raptor much more.

My cam phasers are dead. Long live the new cam phasers.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed and can enjoy your Rappy again. Those plain jane service trucks are a beast, I had one as a loaner a couple years ago, but I never took it to the back roads and did burn outs, nope, never did anything like that.

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, lucky for you, good luck with the repair…. I have an 18 and I took it to one dealer (North Jersey). Did not have the phasers replaced accept the computer update. They will not give me a loner because I bought the truck from an out of state Ford dealer and not them. I didn’t buy it from them because the ADM was $5-$10K.
Got mine for under sticker.
Willing to try another dealer but it’s frustrating and Fords customer service is no help. If anyone can suggest a dealer in North New Jersey I’m willing to go there and see what happens. I need a loner because the Raptor is my only ride…

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could rent a car but if they take 30+ days that’s pretty expensive

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why did the pull the cab off the frame?
I know I watched a YouTube cam phaser repair that did not do that. :eek:

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news: the cam phaser repair seems to have gone perfectly. No gremlins have cropped up in the couple hundred miles since.

Bad news: the misc other warranty repairs have some issues. Since they replaced the sideview mirror motor, the driver sideview mirror will now not hold its position. It slowly "falls" and angles downward over about 5-10 minutes of driving. I can set it perfectly looking behind me and then in 5-10 minutes it's pointed very much down at the road. Weird. Also weird is that when I shift into reverse and activate the sideview mirror button, it tilts down just as it should and returns to position as it should. And then it starts to slowly fall again... It also seems to "vibrate" with the wind as I'm driving.

The second or third time I retracted the moonroof after them replacing the sunshade, a big rubber seal between the sunshade and the glass (near the front of the glass) tried to peel back along with the sunshade. Now it feels pretty loose in there compared to same seal on the other side.

Working on getting in contact with the service advisor to remedy these issues.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bad news: the misc other warranty repairs have some issues. Since they replaced the sideview mirror motor, the driver sideview mirror will now not hold its position. It slowly "falls" and angles downward over about 5-10 minutes of driving. I can set it perfectly looking behind me and then in 5-10 minutes it's pointed very much down at the road. Weird. Also weird is that when I shift into reverse and activate the sideview mirror button, it tilts down just as it should and returns to position as it should. And then it starts to slowly fall again... It also seems to "vibrate" with the wind as I'm driving.

What was the side view mirror motor originally replaced for? I’m not aware of any feature to have the mirrors angle downward in reverse; did you modify the door module calibration with ForScan?