My BD S2 Reverse Light Kit Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmb359

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just trying to understand, so correct me if I'm wrong, but these just tie into the wires in the rear (trailer connector?) if you only want them to come on when shifting into reverse, but you need to run a wire up to the upfitter wires in the engine bay if you want to have them come on when in reverse, PLUS be able to turn them on via an upfitter when you just want additional lighting?

TRMFAM

Reaction score
Just trying to understand, so correct me if I'm wrong, but these just tie into the wires in the rear (trailer connector?) if you only want them to come on when shifting into reverse, but you need to run a wire up to the upfitter wires in the engine bay if you want to have them come on when in reverse, PLUS be able to turn them on via an upfitter when you just want additional lighting?

Connect only to reverse circuit via tail light or trailer harness to come on in reverse.
Connect only to upfitter switch to come on when switch activated.
Connect to both reverse circuit and upfitter switch to come on automatically (no upfitter switch activation needed) when in reverse or activate upfitter switch and come on anytime.

dmb359

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Connect only to reverse circuit via tail light or trailer harness to come on in reverse.
Connect only to upfitter switch to come on when switch activated.
Connect to both reverse circuit and upfitter switch to come on automatically (no upfitter switch activation needed) when in reverse or activate upfitter switch and come on anytime.

thanks, thats what I thought. Seems like a bitch to get the wires from the rear dumper to the engine bay, but probably nice to have the option to turn them on as desired. Although could do a 3rd brake light and tie that center cargo light to the reverse circuit instead I suppose

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
thanks, thats what I thought. Seems like a bitch to get the wires from the rear dumper to the engine bay, but probably nice to have the option to turn them on as desired. Although could do a 3rd brake light and tie that center cargo light to the reverse circuit instead I suppose

That is an option when you get the GJ light, you can also add the reverse trigger to the center light.

dmb359

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an option when you get the GJ light, you can also add the reverse trigger to the center light.

YEah, thats kinda what I Was thinking. Although I probably wouldn't wire it to the reverse. I can just hit the cargo light button when I need additional back up lighting, then I wouldn't blind anyone when I didn't need more than stock back up lighting, lol.

TRMFAM

Reaction score
I actually was thinking the same if I would tie in permanently to the reverse light...I can imagine in parking lots blinding a lot of folks although I imagine better then a backup siren for letting folks know you are backing up!

I definitely want it on a switch for when securing UTV to a trailer or anything at night behind the vehicle...

You don't have to run the wires inside the frame rail and if you don't would be very easy to get wires to engine bay...but for the best wire security in the frame and install would increase the time involved and frustration level. But also increases frosty beverage time!

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

We actually sell a harness for that -
It runs all the way from 2 rear lights up to the switches.

https://specialtyperformanceparts.c...ht-kit-wire-harness-radiance-scene-compatible

John
SPVparts.com