My 37 got smoked by a Hyundai SUV (question)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

belacyrf

Reaction score
As someone waiting on their new 37's to come in. I can say I struggle with the known concern that it wont' be as fast as I would have hoped. It won't be as fast as a Raptor with 35s. It won't be as fast as any F-150 Powerboost, and it will be embarrassed by the F-150 Lightning. I keep telling myself.. as an off-road vehicle built for baja running, it's everything anyone would want an OEM car to be (even though I'll never use it for that). Also the higher clearance gives it a better stance IMO and I think the resale for the 37s will be higher too since it supports 37" spares.

If I want to go faster, I'll look at a tune.

Just understand ... larger tires = taller gearing.
Going to 37 inch tires is "nearly" the same as swapping out your 4.1 final drive for a 3.9 final drive R&P.
Going to 37 inch tires is "nearly" the same as reducing ALL 10 of your gear ratios by .025 (or about).

All things make it slower. However if it makes you feel better. The Raptor with 35's has a "theoretical" top speed of 262 MPH. The Raptor with 37's has as theoretical top speed of 277 MPH. So assuming some magical land where the truck doesn't have any drag forces to contend with... you'd win a top speed competition :D

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My first ever truck was a 2017 Raptor. I thought it felt pretty quick for a big truck. Then I traded it for a Porsche. It no longer felt fast. Then I traded that for an M5. The Porsche no longer felt fast.

I had a 2018 F150 Platinum. It felt considerably quicker than my Raptor. But I wouldn't take it to Moab. The massaging seats were nice though.

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, while entering the highway, a younger dude in a little hyundai SUV tried to overtake me and my 37 on the entrance ramp to I-70. I floored it (in sport mode) and he flipped me the bird as he easily overtook me (I guess I had that coming LOL).

Then this week I dropped off my truck for a warranty engine knock sensor replacement. They said it was a bad factory part, that the engine was fine. They gave me a loaner--a Ford F-150 XLT with the same 3.5L ecoboost engine. This loaner has 31 inch tires. I noticed that it is REMARAKBLY faster in acceleration than my 37. This loaner would smoke my 37 in a drag race. I am sure some of this has to do with tire size, but am concerned that there may be other issues.

Any comments? For you others who have a 37, what's your experience with acceleration?

I got the Roush power pack 2 installed. Includes air intake, exhaust, and a mellow tune. It does the trick, believe me!

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first ever truck was a 2017 Raptor. I thought it felt pretty quick for a big truck. Then I traded it for a Porsche. It no longer felt fast. Then I traded that for an M5. The Porsche no longer felt fast.

I had a 2018 F150 Platinum. It felt considerably quicker than my Raptor. But I wouldn't take it to Moab. The massaging seats were nice though.
Agreed! At the end of the day our definition of speed/fastness/quickness is subjective to each of us, our vehicle history and driving experience.

Sir

Reaction score
This is why I’ve never been interested in 37’s. I think of anything with larger than 35’s as getting into crawler territory in which case I’d rather just get whatever jeep I could afford with a more appropriate wheel base as a dedicated toy for that sort of activity and haul it behind a truck. A raptor on 35’s is the perfect balance of on road comfort off road ability and fairly quick in all conditions. That’s what I bought it for and I’m not interested in trying to make it anything else. With that being said they look mean af on 37’s and to each their own.

DeepSeaMofo423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as 'fast from a truck'. There is 'fast' and there is 'not fast'. Raptors are not fast, at least in my world. I currently do not have a Raptor but have spent plenty of time in them. Had a Gen1, never had a Gen2 and not really interested in the Gen3 at this point. Currently have a TRX as far as trucks go. For the record, NOT a TRX fanboy. The truck is okay but there are a lot of things that could've been done better.
TRX Troll…. Bye bye…

DeepSeaMofo423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, my gen 3 has adequate power but another 50-100 would be nice, let's see what Goosetuned comes up with, it will never be as fast as farm truck and AZN...that is a fast truck. Anyway, in the meantime get a big steel pipe front bumper and cut up some old tires to put on the front of it, that way when you just shove him off the road there won't be any scratches to ID you as the culprit.....(just kidding, please don't do this at home)
MPT……