My 2017 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What up FRF, had my truck for almost 6 weeks now and the mods have already started coming. My introduction thread is here https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...ist-a-few-days-ago-checking-in-from-co.88865/ and has some more info on me if you care to read it. Truck is a 2017 802a with 75000~ miles.

I've been using the truck as my DD, and I plan to get some offroading done soon. There's an offroad park near town that has a dedicated area for trucks and it has a decent mud pit, but other than that, I plan to get into some good ol Colorado trails. I've been hitting the slopes almost every week since buying the truck and she does amazing on the mountain roads, tears through the ice and snow, and looks badass while doing it.

Anyways, to start off,
- Current Mods -
6x Rigid Fog lights with bracket purchased from SPV with the aftermarket backlighting harness

Bed Lined the skid plate and lower bumper lip black

Paint has been washed, compounded, polished, and waxed.

- Mods in the garage or on order -
Eibach Springs currently in my garage

4x Rebuilt Shocks in transit rebuilt by Shocksbyhammer

Forscan tool

Honey Comb Fog Light Bezel

- Future Mods -
Subwoofer
Rigid A Pillar Lights
+2 Deavers in the rear
Lots of graphics ( Door Pillar, Hood Cowl, Sun Visor, Steering Wheel Overlay, Front and Back Ford in Reflective Black, F150 and Raptor in Reflective Black)
Zeigler ESP
Stubby Antenna
Frame Cut Front Bumper + Intercooler
Possibly a tune in the future
Possibly 37s

I started with the Skid Plate. I thought the silver looked very out of place on a truck where everything else was Black or Dark Grey.
I took the Skid Plate off, sanded it down, and painted it in the garage with Rustoleum Black Bed Liner. The lower bumper lip was taped off and sanded down as well. It was painted with the same Rustoleum Bed Liner. Paint job is great considering it was done with a rattle can in my garage.

The Rigid Fog lights were next, I wired all 6 lights up to Aux Switch 1. The install on these was far easier than I expected, I heat shrunk all of the male and female wire ends together, ran the harness under the skid plate and up around the battery to connect to the aux switch. I bought the additional backlight wiring harness to tap into the running lights for the backlighting on the fog lights. It looks amazing, and the light output with the fogs on is incredible.

At this point I'm going to start using the forscan tool to mess with some stuff, but the main reason I bought it is so that I can clear the transmission adaptive learning because I've got a harsh downshift from 4th to 3rd. Any suggestions on what else I should use the tool for are more than welcome.

My Eibach Springs are sitting in the garage, sanded down, and waiting for some Black Paint. I'll be traveling up to Denver to visit another Forum member once my 4x rebuilt shocks arrive. He's going to help me swap the springs and shocks all at once, hopefully before the end of the month.

I bought the Honeycomb Fog Light Bezels from amazon because I saw another forum member with them on top of their fog lights, and I thought it looked pretty good. If it looks like crap I'll return them.

The future mods list seems to keep growing every time I visit the forums here. I'd like to run a slightly bigger than stock tire with the stock beadlocks if anyone has any suggestions. I know the Ko2s are 34.5", and with my Eibach Springs I think I could get away with a 35.5" tire or maybe just maybe a true 36" if they exist.

I have been experiencing a weird engine noise also, posted about it in the Enginer/Performance section, but I'll link it here if that's alright. If anybody has any insight here, please feel free to drop a comment on this thread https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...termittently-while-idling.89823/#post-1738684

Let me know what you all think.

thumbnail_IMG_4046.jpg
BEFORE

thumbnail_IMG_4105.jpg
AFTER

Side by side lights on.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4112.jpgSprings.jpg

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchased a Zeigler BaseCare Ford ESP a few days ago. 1400$ for 5yr/50k miles.
Used my Forscan tool to reset the adaptive learning tables for my transmission and miraculously the 10 spd doesn't shift like shit anymore. No more hard clunks going from 4th to 3rd, and overall the transmission holds gears when it should and shifts more appropriately overall. Very happy with it now.

I also installed the Fog Light Honeycomb Bezel covers.

When I had the wheel off on the passenger side I also noticed that the axle seal was leaking a bit. I got a new seal but I don't think i'm going to swap it until it warms up outside in the spring/summer.

Got around to slapping my rebuilt shocks and new Eibach springs on as well. Had a shop swap the springs for me, took them about an hour. Did everything else myself over the last 2 days. It was -3 in my garage while doing the fronts and -1 yesterday doing the rears.
thumbnail_IMG_4462.jpg
Sanded my Eibach Springs and painted them black in the garage.

thumbnail_IMG_4219.jpg
The rebuilt shocks have been sitting in my garage for the last few weeks waiting to get installed.

thumbnail_IMG_4463.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4464.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4465.jpg
THE NEW FRONTS!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next, I got the truck up on jack stands, got the tires off and removed my old fronts

thumbnail_IMG_1933.jpg
Didn't need to remove the rotor and brake caliper, lesson learned for the passenger side.
thumbnail_IMG_1937.jpg
Those two jack stands under the crossmember were just in case something went wrong. The truck is sitting on two jack stands and two floor jacks underneath the passenger and driver side doors.
thumbnail_IMG_4466.jpg
Once I got my old fronts off, I took all 4 front struts to a 4x4 shop and had them swap the springs.
thumbnail_IMG_4472.jpg
Nice and Shiny!

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jacked the rear of the truck off the ground to release some of the tension and then went to work on the bolts holding the shocks in. Getting them out was quick and easy.
thumbnail_IMG_4501.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4497.jpg
That's the difference 200psi makes I guess.
thumbnail_IMG_4502.jpg
Old and Dirty
thumbnail_IMG_4511.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4509.jpg

Reinstallation was easy as well. Ran into some issues with using a bottle jack to move the frame from the axle.. The bottle jack fully extended only raised the truck 7 1/2 inches. We were probably about an inch off still to get the lower portion of the shock into the housing. Had to run to the auto parts store and get another bottle jack, and we still ended up taking off the bump stops to get things back together.

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe i'm crazy but I think the new rears raised the rear end a little bit, or maybe they didn't and I just think they did because they looked so much longer in comparison to the old ones.

The front is definitely nose high even with the new rears possibly raising the rear end. I know the Eibachs are going to settle. I plan to give it a few hundred miles and a week or two before I get her aligned.

IF I BUY A LIFETIME ALIGNMENT FROM **PEPBOYS** CAN I TRUST THEM WITH MY BABY?????
I know it's just an alignment but still... thoughts?

Anyways, haven't had a chance to really drive the truck yet. I finished up late last night. I took my daughter to school this morning but the roads are covered in snow and I was tired. I work the next 3 days as well, so it'll have to wait until early next week to really get to testing the new ride quality between the stiffer springs and the new shocks I think i'll see a pretty nice gain in overall comfort.

PS IT GETS REALLY COLD IN COLORADO, SAVE ALL OF YOUR PROJECTS FOR THE SUMMER TIME

The condensation from my breath was freezing on my eyelashes... I should've taken a picture. I had icicles hanging from my eyes. I took a mug of coffee outside with me as well, sat it on our chest freezer, and within 10 minutes it was a solid block of ice. -3 degree aint no joke.

thumbnail_IMG_4505.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4508.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4506 (1).jpgthumbnail_IMG_4503.jpg