My $1400 Raptor Stereo Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to upgrade by Factory Sony System but limited myself to $1500 in budget excluding installation. I spent some time talking with Noah and he was very helpful and his knowledge is second to none but I realized that it would just be more system than I was willing to do. Anyways here is my build list for those of you on a budget...

Amplifier - Hertz HDP5 (picked up a like-new used one for $200)
DSP - Rockford Fosgate DSR1 ($260)
Front Speakers - Memphis Audio Power Reference Components ($120)
Rear Speakers - Memphis Audio power Reference Coax ($70)
Subwoofer - Kicker Drop in Subwoofer System (On sale at Stage 3 Motorsports) ($549) - It was important to me to have a stock looking install and protect most of the under-seat storage. Although kind of pricey relative to performance it checks all the boxes for me.
Misc Cables Harnessess Etc - $200

The only used part was the amp as there are lots of nice used amps out there on OfferUp. The one I got looks brand new without even a scratch on it. Everything else is NIB. I got a local installer to do the whole system $400 including tuning with a RTA. He has a lot of experience with the DSR1 and has had a good experience with them. With the speakers I decided to go mid-stream with the idea that if I wanted more they are the easiest thing to upgrade provided the backbone system is solid.

I excluded the install price as most people can do the install themselves. I wish I had the time to but just don't.

Stay tuned for install pics and a review of the overall system. I think a lot of people are in the same boat as me. I don't like the sound of the stock stereo but I also don't have the ears (or desire to spend the funds) for a crazy high end system.

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6x8 or 6.5s? Why the DSR1 instead of the LC6I? Amp/processor going behind the seat? Sound deadening?

OP
OP
R

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted a clean install that removed the factory amp completely from the system, take the signal coming direct from the headunit. The LC6I doesn't do that. Amp/processor will go behind the rear seat. Haven't decided on sound deadening... Going to discuss with installer and get his input on that...

MrGable27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted a clean install that removed the factory amp completely from the system, take the signal coming direct from the headunit. The LC6I doesn't do that. Amp/processor will go behind the rear seat. Haven't decided on sound deadening... Going to discuss with installer and get his input on that...

I’ve used Dynamat with all of my project cars and have always had great experiences. I had a bunch of rattles and squeaks coming from my passenger door until I took it apart and stuffed it full of that Dynamat. Great stuff

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
glad i could help out. sound deadening is always a good option. look into newer products like sound skins or focal bam. they do a much better job than your standard sound deadening

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6x8 or 6.5s? Why the DSR1 instead of the LC6I? Amp/processor going behind the seat? Sound deadening?
audio control and the sony/sync system never played nice together. havent tried the new stuff from them yet in these trucks, but the lc6 was never a good option

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the exact same boat. Want a better audio system but can’t justify 5k+. Very interested to see how this turns out and how you like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install complete. Took all day to do. The DSR worked perfectly. Literally plug and play. I used the DSR extension harness and mounted it behind the rear seats with the AMP. Then ran speaker wires back to where the Sony amp used to be (center console), installed crossovers there and used the plug and play harness to connect to factory speaker wiring. The Kicker sub uses a dual 1-ohm voice coil sub wired to their 2-channel. However I wanted to wire to my Hertz amp so had to modify it to run as 2-ohm to single channel. Kicker provided me the wiring diagram so it was easy to do. I have not had time to tune the system completely but it sounds MUCH better than stock. The stage is pretty high and well defined. Bass response is very good for what it is (Shallow mount 10" woofer in a sealed box). It has more than enough bass for anything I listen to.

Once I get it tuned with an RTA I will respond back.

OP
OP
R

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stereo all tuned. Used an RTA to get the levels aligned. There is a drop at 125hz that was difficult to level but I got it pretty close. Played a little bit with timing to get the stage correct. Overall sounds amazing. I am very happy with the results.