Musy smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a problem where the truck was building up moisture underneath the rear seats when it rained hard. Might want to check and see if there’s any moisture there as well. I haven’t been driving my truck a lot either and put a box of baking soda under the driver seat and that seemed to help a little as well.
I don't know for the OP, but like Nex said, check your rear cab vents. There is one on either side of the rear cab wall a few inches above floor level. It's just a gravity controlled flap to relieve pressure when you close your doors. Not too hard for one of them to get stuck open.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know for the OP, but like Nex said, check your rear cab vents. There is one on either side of the rear cab wall a few inches above floor level. It's just a gravity controlled flap to relieve pressure when you close your doors. Not too hard for one of them to get stuck open.
I know the Gen 1 will default to recerc when the AC is on. Shutting the truck off and leaving it for a while will cause a slight smell to develop. I turn off recerc before shutting the eng off.
R,
HAP

DogtorM

Reaction score
Ozone machine in it for 3-4 hours is solid advice to clear the smell, won't eliminate it from coming back.. Leave some of the humidity absorbers or a dehumidifier in it as well if it's gonna be sitting a while. Check rear cab vents. Replace cabin air filter if you haven't. Check floorboards if wet could be sunroof.

NeoLeo

Reaction score
Recheck the front passenger footwell carpeting (underneath). There is a history of the AC condensation valve either not connected or blocked which floods the footwell. Had this on my 2019 and mold was growing. Sprayed & cleaned with SprayNine, and let it dry after the warranty work was done.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rent or buy a commercial grade ozone generator , pull any rubber mats,and leave it running for 3-4 hours with all doors closed. Air it out and repeat if needed. Do not allow yourself or anyone, or pet be in it while that thing is running, as its harmful to be exposed.
After that id check for leaks… sun roof drain hoses ?
this is 100% the way to go. When houses with a deceased person were cleaned... the crime scene clean up guys would do this and you'd never know....

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
this is 100% the way to go. When houses with a deceased person were cleaned... the crime scene clean up guys would do this and you'd never know....
Ill add you can run the HVAC system via remote start to circulate it through the ac system while the ozone sustem is running.

I learned about this method when my then Girlfriend threw up in the front passenger position while I was doing 70mph on the highway in my then chevy Colorado. Good times!

dragonass23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only smells when it rains. I can find any wet spots. I did notice some moisture by the front camera under the rear view mirror. Anyone ever notice a problem in that area?

Beenjammin

Reaction score
Any update to this? Mine also smells only after a rain. I did havea cabin vent fail so thats been sealed of fon left side ( right is good) Checked moon roof and nothing there. Drilled the 1/4" hole in coil box and sprayed the foam clean and sealed it back with a/c tape. The even tried the lysol spray in the intake on front windshield. Any other areas to address?