Must do "mods" and upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allright, my truck should be arriving at the dealer this Wednesday, and I am planning on picking it up Saturday the 21st. The truck is a 2014 Oxford White Super Cab, with the 800A package and no fancy extras. (I'm a simple guy) This truck will be my daily driver, and I'm not planning on thrashing it every weekend. However it will see time as a support truck in Baja (2 bikes), get me to the motocross track every weekend, and run around ranches throughout Texas.

So my question is, what are necessary add ons, up grades, and mods that generally improve the quality, performance and appearance of my new truck. I obviously have a general idea of what I want out of the truck, but since I don't have the truck yet, I cant make any decisions on what types and brands of accessories I want to purchase.

Here is what I'm thinking about doing...

Up graded floor mats (weathertech?) ASAP
Some kind of back seat cover for my dog. ASAP
3M clear car bra
Mid Perch (I'll have to see and feel the truck first)
Hidden Ham radio with remote head unit (Icom or Yaesu)
Spray in bed liner (Linex?)
Bed side supports? (are they worth it?)
LED fog lights and a 20" in the stock bumper. (Rigid?)
Outlaw chase rack. (if I can fit 2 bikes and gear)

Once I get down the road I would really like to get some new rims. The stock ones look like shit.

Just for reference, here is what I am NOT going to do to my truck. Exhaust, front bumper that is not bolt on, rear bumper, Roof mount light bar (although they are bad ass). Generally anything that requires me to permanantly modify my truck, or voids my warranty.

Anyway, let me know what you did to your truck to improve it, and why you chose that part/mod.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mid Perch - It's a great start and greatly improves the look/stance of your truck. As a bonus, it's free (if you do it yourself). Although you will need an alignment afterwards.

Dog Protection - A lot of people use the Orvis dog hammock in the back of the truck to protect the seats/upholstery.

Clear Bra - Since you're local to Houston, check out EVS Motors if you're looking for Clear Bra.

Floor Mats - The factory rubber floor mats are great in my opinion and don't move around at all. Although some members have upgraded to WeatherTech and are very pleased.

Bed Liner - Line-X is great, but it is pricey. If you're not going to add a bed cover or if you are hard on your truck bed, go with Line-X Premium as it is tough and has UV protection to not fade. If you go with a bed cover, I recommend the BakFlip F1. I also went with a Toff Bed Liner as I didn't need the UV protection. I also have a BedRug Mat on top of my liner that makes it easy to store stuff and creates a really big trunk, but is also removable in 10 seconds if you want to haul something messy.

Bed Support - All depends on how hard you're wheeling. Personally, I would look at frame reinforcements and/or bumpstops before worrying about bed spread. There are great kits available from RPG, SVC, Icon, and others.

Lighting - I'd recommend my company, Apollo Optics. We have all sorts of LED bars/fog lights for every budget. High quality lighting without the big name prices. PM me if you have any questions, we can get you set up with a fog kit and 20" bar no problem. We are also local to Houston, too!

Chase Rack - There are so many to choose from you. You'd have to find what is right for you.

Also, if you haven't joined yet, check out HARO - Houston Area Raptor Owners on Facebook at www.facebook.com/groups/houstonraptors

Hope this helps, congratulations on the new truck, and welcome to FRF!

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Engine and t case Skid plate. This should be everyone's first mod and very few people do it.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Engine and t case Skid plate. This should be everyone's first mod and very few people do it.

The truck comes with those skid plates.

However, there are some good upgrades. Plans on $1000 if you skid protect the underside of the truck.

Mirror reflector deletes are $20 and add nothing performance wise, but they help the look of the truck.

Welcome!

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
The truck comes with those skid plates.

However, there are some good upgrades. Plans on $1000 if you skid protect the underside of the truck.

Mirror reflector deletes are $20 and add nothing performance wise, but they help the look of the truck.

Welcome!

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Clarification There is no skid plate from the factory under the oil pan, trans pan, or t case cross member. I put a dent in my tranny pan before I got one. also bent my cross member causing a nasty driveline bang.

customtruckshop

LGE-CTS Motorsports
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a light bar, I would personally go with Bulldog Lighting. I believe they put out a product that is marginally better than Rigid, and a hell of a lot cheaper. Plus they are 100% US made and have a

Here's some stats if you're still skeptical.

20" Bulldog Double Row VS. 20" Rigid E-Series
Price: $399 vs $699
Lumens: 9600 vs 9200
Watts: 120 vs 110
Life: 50,000 hrs for both

Don't get me wrong, Rigid puts out a great product. I've used them and liked them, but there's more competition out there now.

Stats taken from:
20" Bulldog Bone LED Light Bar | 201-02774
Rigid Industries LED Lighting | LED Lights, Offroad, Marine, Truck

Also, I'd get some recovery gear as well. First aid kit, fire extinguisher, thing like that. Think of it as insurance, you don't want to use it, but it is very nice to have it.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems you will definitely need HD leaf springs for carrying loads off road. Might as well make them progressive springs.

Might need a rear frame brace too for off-road loads. And air bump stops add a little assurance, for added peace of mind. I chose RPG for my suspension upgrades, but there are a few supporting vendors which offer you a choice when looking for suspension upgrades.