GEN 2 MPT Tunes - any advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mstgkillr

Reaction score
Hmmm that’s odd...I don’t wanna put MPT “on blast” or anything but feel obligated to mention since it’s quite relevant- my ‘18 was recently totaled & I had a gearhead tune on it w/ SCT tuner I returned the ‘18 to stock @ the tow yard & called gearhead asking bout what it would entail/cost to get another tune for this new 2020- they said $50 just get the as built stock file over to us well write you a new tune for the 2020

That's similar to what I was expecting after reading about MPT, especially since I only had the 2019 tune for 3 months, and never even had a chance for MPT to review my data logs. Just another reason for me to try out Goose. I assume Goose has some consideration for repeat customers, time already allocated to a tune, and time required for a new/retune. Obviously, people need to be paid for their time, and I understand that.

That’s great customer support. I think if you want to take your tunes and programmer over to another truck. And that truck or vehicle for that matter is the same model and its within a couple of years. A small xfer price makes makes for great experience.

Exactly. Unfortunately, not the case with MPT.

That’s strange.

MPT has always given me free updates. I occasionally throw some money their way because I feel guilty.

Something about this story doesn’t add up.

Mike is a really honest guy. Some wires must have gotten crossed.

After reaching out for a third time to confirm (based on your post), I would have to pay full price to update from a 2019 to 2020 tune, everything else being the exact same.

Just to clarify my update. My tunes were more than two years old and I called to ask a couple of questions about using the 93 tow tune for the first time.

Near the end of a 20+ min discussion he mentioned I could upgrade my 2018 tunes to the latest versions for $30. After I agreed, the next day I asked about the cost to add a 91 perf tow tune and he tossed it in for free.

Since then, he has sent me multiple versions to correct minor issues all at no cost. All in all, MPT provides fantastic service and I highly recommend them for future readers of this thread.

Unfortunately, your experience differed from mine.

I’m not a tuner however am in a programming profession. Not sure how these work but guessing you have to re-write the program for a new vehicle. That could take quite a bit of time vs changing a couple perimeters for something already built. Seems like some may be nit picking.

I understand there is some more work involved, but more than likely they have a "canned" tune they start with (maybe I'm wrong) and then optimize with the data logs. Since I only had the tunes for 3 months and never had a chance to provide the data logs, they really didn't have much involved and assumed they would give me a break. And, I was only looking to update the 93PRX, not all three tunes.

Joeeyyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most ideal 3-4 MPT tunes to choose, please share your recommendations. I received my gauge and now have to choose my tunes. I originally talked with them about 93PRX, 91Tow, and 30%E85.

My truck is a 7 mile daily driver, stop and go environment, and maybe 6 times a month at most on the freeway. I want the driving characteristics from my truck that everyone describes after getting a tune, but undecided, which will best fit my application..

My first conversation with MPT, they suggested the 91 tow as my daily driver tow, but I'm thinking I should go with the 93PRX, 91PRX, and 91 TOW. I live in Arizona and do not have 93 readily available. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, my truck is sitting at the dealership. Had few mornings of a disturbing heavy thick smelly white fumes on startup come from the exhaust pipes. So overwhelming, I can't be outside the vehicle or have the windows down as it warms up. It is very concerning. Fortunately, the truck is a 2018 with only 40k on it. Also, I currently have no engine mods.

dave_g

Reaction score
The most ideal 3-4 MPT tunes to choose, please share your recommendations. I received my gauge and now have to choose my tunes. I originally talked with them about 93PRX, 91Tow, and 30%E85.

My truck is a 7 mile daily driver, stop and go environment, and maybe 6 times a month at most on the freeway. I want the driving characteristics from my truck that everyone describes after getting a tune, but undecided, which will best fit my application..

My first conversation with MPT, they suggested the 91 tow as my daily driver tow, but I'm thinking I should go with the 93PRX, 91PRX, and 91 TOW. I live in Arizona and do not have 93 readily available. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, my truck is sitting at the dealership. Had few mornings of a disturbing heavy thick smelly white fumes on startup come from the exhaust pipes. So overwhelming, I can't be outside the vehicle or have the windows down as it warms up. It is very concerning. Fortunately, the truck is a 2018 with only 40k on it. Also, I currently have no engine mods.

DO NOT TUNE till this is resolved completely !You don not want to give the dealership a reason to not warranty it.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Livernois is another option, I bought their tuner in 2012 for a Platinum F150 eB. When I got my Raptor in 2014 they were able to convert the tuner to work on the Raptor through a firmware update and gave me new tunes for the Raptor at no cost. Anytime I make a change to my truck and need a new tune they will send it free of charge. That's what I call great support.

Joeeyyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished loading my MPT tunes last night and it is exactly how everyone describes. I knew the results were good, when I accelerated from the light and my six-year old asked, "can we get arrested for this?" As he heard the tires chirping through a couple of gears!

I can't wait to get an intercooler to see if it improves the performance. I'm only using a 91PRX. Overall, I'm impressed, but I have not really opened up yet.

Is it normal to not see the gears in my dash display anymore? Prior to the tune I could see 1-10.

A 93 tune must be amazing.

cpost6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running my 93 PRX and it is amazing. Also shifts quick and smooth. Glad I went with MPT. Will be sending them data log soon.

Joeeyyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running my 93 PRX and it is amazing. Also shifts quick and smooth. Glad I went with MPT. Will be sending them data log soon.

Is it normal to not see the gears in my dash display anymore? Prior to the tune I could see 1-10.