GEN 2 MPT Tunes - any advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarthKickA55

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's is always easier to help someone decide when it is not your vehicle.

I have had the MPT tunes nGauge for a few months but wanted to wait until I had some miles on the truck in case any initial warranty issues came up, but am about 6300 miles now and going to go ahead and download the stock tune and send in for my (3) tunes that I have purchased from MPT.

I do a little towing of an about 3500lb light travel trailer maybe 8-12 weekends a year. The rest of the time it is just my DD. I do have 93 octane in my area so that is what I use when I fill up.

When I contacted MPT tunes a few months ago they recommended the following:
"I like to recommend the 93PRX, 91 Tow, and the Any octane tune."

I thought I would get some opinions from the collective here and see what everyone thinks about these suggestions before I fill out the tuning form online.

Anyone with a MPT tune that can give any advice? I do not plan on mounting the nGauge permanently but will probably leave in the truck or my work bag in order to have access to the other tunes (or return to stock if needed for an impromptu dealer visit).

Any thought or considerations would be appreciated.

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 93 PRX and love it. I would not tow with it which you have a tow tune. I have the same 3 tunes as you. Only thing I would look at is if they have updated any of the tunes since you purchased it. I updated mine in January or February of this year and the trans tune was quite a bit different. Much smoother.

OP
OP
DarthKickA55

DarthKickA55

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run 93 PRX and love it. I would not tow with it which you have a tow tune. I have the same 3 tunes as you. Only thing I would look at is if they have updated any of the tunes since you purchased it. I updated mine in January or February of this year and the trans tune was quite a bit different. Much smoother.
Have you towed anything with the tow tune? Wondering what it does (maybe better mileage)...

JPete

Reaction score
I have the 93 as well and agree... makes it a different truck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350Industrial

Reaction score
I have the 93 PRX, 91 Perf Tow, and 93 Perf Tow.

I use 93 Perf Tow most of the time, since I trailer my boat to the lake every weekend in the spring/summer. Now, I will say this, I did NOT like the trans tune in the perf tow tunes, so I had them put the 93 PRX trans tuning in my 91 and 93 perf tow tunes. You can still use the truck's TOW MODE to optimize shifting for towing a trailer, but when in normal mode you get the nice 93 PRX shifting for daily driving.

I got the 91 Perf Tow tune for the winter when I haul my snowmobile (in bed of truck) to the great white north where only 91 octane is available. I will leave the 91 perf tow tune in all winter for that reason. Yes, even a few hundred pounds of payload is too much to run the 93 PRX tune, per my call with MPT.

The perf tow tunes are about 80-90% of the 93 PRX tunes in terms of power (stated by MPT to me) so still way better than stock.

Hope this helps.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love their tunes and have tried a lot of variants. I would suggest the 93PRX, 91 Tow, and then the 93PRX with no trans tuning. I actually like the last one the best because the stock trans tuning works really well with the extra power. The 93PRX is great if you are an aggressive driver, but it turns more RPMs than I like for just daily driving.

Lags

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say ditch MPT and hit up goosetuned! I have had both, and Winfield’s tunes using the Cobb accessport are seriously second to none. No canned tunes, he flashes and re flashes with datalogs from you until he dials in all of the parameters specific to your truck. Best ever.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 93 PRX, 93 Perf Tow, 91 PRX and 91 Perf Tow. The 93 tunes are awesome and the 93 PRX transmission tune is better than stock, as far as I am concerned. After 2.5 years of excellent driving experiences, I updated my tunes to get the latest versions for $30, which I felt was a fair price for the amount of work involved. I can spin my 37s with ease, which says a lot about the extra HP. My Gen1 6.2L was 5-Star tuned, AFE CAI, true duals and I could not spin my 35s, but it sounded a lot better. :rolleyes:

I live in Texas where 93 is plentiful, so I have never used either of the 91 tunes. However, I just bought a 6000 lb travel trailer, so I will start using the 91 Perf Tow when I travel out of state.

There are hundreds of happy MPT Raptor owners on this forum and very few Goosetuned owners, so I will let you decide which one is best for your truck.