MPT Tune vs 5 Star

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a 2017 Raptor with MPT tunes and I now have a 2019 with MPT tunes. The performance gains are extremely noticeable and they have fantastic customer service. I have asked for several revisions and each revision was very willingly provided without them ever making me feel bad for asking; great customer service!!!!!!! All that said, I just received three tunes from 5 Star, so I will provide my thoughts on them very soon. I am happy with what was achieved with my MPT tunes, but I am always striving for better, so I am anxious to start testing the latest 5 Star tunes.

I tried testing my 5 Star tunes last night (07_25_29), but something is seriously wrong with them; the truck struggled to get up to 50 MPH on the two that I tested. I sent them several data logs this morning and I have confirmation that they are currently working on the issue, so that is very promising. We all make mistakes, so hopefully it is something simple. I noticed from the logs that I was not getting any "Boost(psi)" and the “SPARK#1(Deg)” and “KNOCKR(Deg)” values are way off from logs created with stock settings. I will update with a more detailed comparison of 5 Star vs MPT when I get something that works.

I did get revised tunes from 5 Star on 07_26_19 so they at least tried to fix my issue immediately (that is very much appreciated), but unfortunately the revised tunes that they sent back were no better and it took 17.5 seconds for my truck to get up to 51 MPH with a pretty healthy push on the gas pedal (it wasn't pushed to the floor, but I was definitely asking the truck to get moving). A new data log was sent back this morning, so I am hopefully that I will get something that works today.

5 Star sent me a stock file last night (07/29/19) that works, so I should hopefully receive three working tunes tonight for testing. So far their customer service has been very good.

It is now 8/1 and 5 Star customer service remains very dedicated, but I still do not have a tune that works, or is even drivable. The truck feels like it is pulling a 5K lb trailer, shifts poorly, and would definitely lose a race by a long shot to a stock truck. Per the five or so logs that I sent them yesterday, they now feel like the truck is producing power and they need to fix something on the transmission side. I really hope they get something working soon because I am losing confidence. I would love to get a good workable tune from them, but if it doesn't happen soon, I hope they will agree to part ways amicably and just refund my money.

8/2 - Received an updated tune from 5 Star to test over the weekend. I finally have a tune that is drivable and much improved over what they previously sent, but it definitely isn't something that anybody would pay for. It feels very similar to stock, but it requires more pedal travel to accelerate. It may have marginally more power, but if it does, it isn't appreciable. I know that they have other 2019 Raptor tunes out there, so I am not sure if the issue is the individual working on my tunes, something specific to my truck, etc... Aside from different springs and bigger tires, my truck is stock.

8/9 - My tuner was out of the office, so I finally got a revised tune from them that went in the wrong direction. My wife's car was low on gas, so we ended up taking my truck to dinner with the latest tune installed which triggered my wife to say “What they heck is your truck doing”!!!! The truck is revving excessively high for what it is doing and lacks any performance. For example, my truck took well over 7 seconds on flat ground to accelerate from 0 to 28 MPH with the RPMs climbing from 656 up to 3418 RPMs. It then continued to hold anywhere from 2800 RPMs to 3429 RPMs to accelerate from 28 MPH to 51 MPH in an another 7.895 seconds. This is hardly a performance tune!!!! To date, I have exchanged 47 emails with them and sent 16 log files. Seems like we should be farther along than we are.

8/12 - I finally asked them for a refund. I can't speak for why we aren't making any progress, but it seems time to throw in the towel. I can't afford to spend any more time on this without any signs of improvement.

8/12 - They responded saying they will keep attempting to get the tunes right, or they will provide a refund of $59.95 out of the $259.95 I paid. This was very disappointing given the amount of time and patience I have had with the process. I am still pushing to get a full refund which seems completely fair at this point, but if not, I will let them them keep trying until I get something that can be driven. I once again give them credit for being responsive and not giving up, but this entire process is getting ridiculous.

8/16 - I received an updated tune from 5 Star which was much improved over anything they had previously sent. The truck is shifting at normal RPMs in all gears except 3 through 6 where my tachometer will hit well over 3K RPMs for very mild acceleration, so I asked them to fix that issue. That aside, everything about how the transmission shifts and the amount of pedal pressure to get the truck to kick down is really good. Hopefully the next file they send is perfect and I can be done with this process.