MPT Tune vs 5 Star

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
davidl81

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any discount code from MPT by any chance? I see on the checkout page a spot for a code so I didn't know if there was some special for forum members or anything like that? Worth a shot to save a few dollars I guess.

Chris_S

Reaction score
No experience with 5star, but I've been running the MPT 93 Octane PR-X and Performance Tow tunes for about the last 2 months here in Houston. My Raptor is my daily driver, so I've put several thousand consecutive miles on each tune in "Normal" mode. The performance tow is awesome, it just likes to keep the RPM's up around 2K when cruising so mileage suffers a little. I've run the most time on the PR-X & it is great as well, it likes to keep cruising RPM ~ 1.75K. Only thing I don't like is the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in traffic are a bit firm once the truck is warmed up. Either tune gives you great torque at 2.5K+ RPM and snaps through the gears smoothly under aggressive throttle. Both have improved throttle response, downshift quickly and the power-train response overall is great ... way better driving experience than stock.

I tried a JB4 first and while extra power is always welcome, without corresponding transmission tuning the driving experience is still not much better than stock IMO. I was interested in COBB, but won't consider purchasing their tune until they address transmission tuning.

OP
OP
davidl81

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No experience with 5star, but I've been running the MPT 93 Octane PR-X and Performance Tow tunes for about the last 2 months here in Houston. My Raptor is my daily driver, so I've put several thousand consecutive miles on each tune in "Normal" mode. The performance tow is awesome, it just likes to keep the RPM's up around 2K when cruising so mileage suffers a little. I've run the most time on the PR-X & it is great as well, it likes to keep cruising RPM ~ 1.75K. Only thing I don't like is the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in traffic are a bit firm once the truck is warmed up. Either tune gives you great torque at 2.5K+ RPM and snaps through the gears smoothly under aggressive throttle. Both have improved throttle response, downshift quickly and the power-train response overall is great ... way better driving experience than stock.

I tried a JB4 first and while extra power is always welcome, without corresponding transmission tuning the driving experience is still not much better than stock IMO. I was interested in COBB, but won't consider purchasing their tune until they address transmission tuning.

How was your MPG with the tune (PR-x) compared to stock? Did it drop off much? I am getting 17.8 now on 93 octane so I am hoping that I don't lose too much. I just placed an order with MPT a few mins ago.

Chris_S

Reaction score
How was your MPG with the tune (PR-x) compared to stock? Did it drop off much? I am getting 17.8 now on 93 octane so I am hoping that I don't lose too much. I just placed an order with MPT a few mins ago.

It dropped by 0.8-1.0 (hand-calculated ~17.1 stock to ~16.2 tuned). I do drive a little more aggressively than when stock, however. Also I drive some extended time on twisty sub-50 MPH roads and with the tune the transmission will hold a lower gear than stock when cruising.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see you already decided on MPT. :)

As others have said, they are probably the number 1 choice on this forum due to their Engine and Trans tuning. I asked them for smooth shifting in Normal mode when I ordered mine and it does not have any of the harshness others have reported. It holds the shifts when I want it to and shifts smoothly until I use Sport Mode.

I had 5-star on my Gen 1 and I was pleased with their tuning on the 6.2L truck. They had a lot of issues with their Gen 2 tunes in the early days, so I did not even consider them when I bought mine. Things may have gotten better, but I never saw a need to change from MPT.

OP
OP
davidl81

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see you already decided on MPT. :)

As others have said, they are probably the number 1 choice on this forum due to their Engine and Trans tuning. I asked them for smooth shifting in Normal mode when I ordered mine and it does not have any of the harshness others have reported. It holds the shifts when I want it to and shifts smoothly until I use Sport Mode.

I had 5-star on my Gen 1 and I was pleased with their tuning on the 6.2L truck. They had a lot of issues with their Gen 2 tunes in the early days, so I did not even consider them when I bought mine. Things may have gotten better, but I never saw a need to change from MPT.

I will ask them to program mine like they did yours. I want normal to shift similar to how it does now and not have the throttle crazy sensitive, but I want sport mode to be like Balco Barry Bonds.

mattyz99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll second for gearhead tune, great costumer service good power and auto octane options good trans tune and worked with my existing sct tuner all in all best 175 I’ve spent on the truck, at the time I looked mpt didn’t work with my sct x4, but to each their own

cammac50

Reaction score
I've had the COBB Stage 2 installed now for three weeks. It is an INCREABLE increase in power. Heldenberg's Advanced Automotive did the install and tune. Dyno RR showed 395 Hp / 437 ft-lbs (max). It was hot and humid that day. The tuner logged 410 Hp / 445 ft-lbs (max) that day, it does an estimate from all of the computer inputs. I have now logged a 508 Hp estimate. The tuner also removed the speed limiter (108 mph) and at 125 mph the truck starts to float a little. I hope to record 0-60 and 1/4 mile times soon.Front COBB Stage 2.jpg

Thomas E Sims

Reaction score
I’ll say it again, I’ve tried the tuners my buddy has a Rouch Raptor and I smoke it with the pedal commander! Go to amazon spend $300 and get a pedal commander and you will save thousands and not have to mess with your engine!