MPT Tune vs 5 Star

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I have a 2018 Raptor and I am looking at getting a tune for it. She is mostly a parking lot queen, but I really need to make those Starbucks runs a little faster. I have 93 Octane here in Houston so that is what I am interested in getting the tune based around. Does anyone have a recommendation between these two tuners? I am just looking for a little more power out of the truck and I just keep on reading all of the good results with these tunes. I am not planning any other upgrades at this time.
Thanks,
David

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am quite pleased with my Cobb tune. Might want to consider that one as well. They have a 93 octane map.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cobb is engine tuning only, no trans tune, which is a real bummer.

I have run both the 5 star and the JDM tunes and I prefer the JDM tune. it is smoother, and I believe faster, also I prefer the trans tuning as it has better shift points.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
The MPT tunes are the overall “best” for now due to the included trans tune. When Cobb releases their trans tuning sometime in the future I would consider them the “best”. I have both the MPT ngauge Tune and Cobb AP tunes for my 2018. I’m running the MPT until Cobb is “ready”. I can also self-tune and prefer the Cobb software to the HPTuners software for tuning.

OP
OP
davidl81

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I may just go with the MPT tune since I like the idea of the trans tuning coming with it. I would think the delta between the Cobb tune and the MPT tune engine wise is fairly small and either should be a significant step up from the stock tune. Should I go with the Ngauge device or the Cobb device? I do not think I am going to mount it, I plan on installing it and just keeping the unit in my glove compartment. Is one easier to install and uninstall tunes for when I have to bring it to the dealer?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
To run the MPT tunes you must use the ngauge device. They’re both easy to use to load tunes and go back to stock. You’ll be happy with the ngauge whether you mount it or not. They are useful in monitoring parameters real-time.